Surveying and Mapping (Bachelor’s Degree)
Surveying and Mapping Fundamentals
Advanced technologies are transforming the functions of surveying and mapping - measuring of ground surface, as well as the preparation of maps, profiles, cross sections and alignments. Surveying and mapping technicians collect data in the field, make calculations and do computer-aided drafting.
- This “Step Up” program builds on the knowledge and skills developed during your associate degree studies
- Comprehensive curriculum includes learning how to:
- use a variety of tools
- create maps using principles and techniques of field measurements and adjustments
- design construction projects and subdivisions
- use GIS and GPS technology
- are innovative and interactive
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
VIDEO: DRONES EXTEND SURVEYORS' TOOLBOX
Drones are giving mapping and surveying professionals new ways to conduct their work, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.
Experience surveying and mapping technology firsthand through the Surveying and Mapping Program's two computerized laboratories. They are equipped for:
- map generation and GIS/GPS activities
- surveying instrumentation studies and practices.
Gain practical professional experience through an internship or UA's optional cooperative education program. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school while earning a competitive salary.
Surveying and Mapping Student Organization
Interact with other surveying and mapping students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Gathering of Potential Surveyors (GPS)