Transfer Admission Requirements
Each academic college has its own criteria for transfer admission. If you are not sure which college offers your major, check out Academics.
A Transfer Student is a student applying for admission to The University of Akron who is attending or has previously attended another regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
A student is also considered a Transfer Student if he/she attended UA after high school, transferred to another school and is returning to UA.
A Complete the Admission Application online at uakron.edu/apply. On the Admission Application, be sure to list all institutions you attended, whether you believe them to be accredited or not.
B Submit a non-refundable $45 application fee payable to The University of Akron.
C Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities that you attended.
- Your transcripts are required to be signed or certified by the Registrar.
- If you’re pursuing a B.S.N., submit credentials from all schools of nursing.
It’s your responsibility to request your transcripts.
Please send them to:
The University of Akron, Office of Admissions,
Akron, OH 44325-2001
D Submit official high school transcripts showing graduation date or official GED score report.
- If you are under the age of 21 and have less than 24 semester hours earn please submit ACT or SAT test scores
General Guidelines About Transferring Credit
We know you are interested in how your college credits will be accepted at The University of Akron. You also will want to know how your credits will apply to your degree requirements. You will receive an official copy of your general education evaluation. Your major courses will be evaluated by your academic department.
We recommend that you check out u.select (formerly the Course Applicability System) at www.transfer.org. u.select will provide you with information on courses, course equivalencies and program requirements at participating institutions.
Students who have transfer courses from a state other than Ohio may be required
to provide additional information (e.g. syllabus) for coursework evaluation.
Requirements for Admission to Academic Colleges
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
- Completion of 30 semester credit hours
- Completion of English Composition I & II
- Completion of 3 cr. of Mathematics or Statistics
- 2.0 cumulative GPA for all majors except the following:
- Political Science requires a 2.2 major & 2.2 cumulative GPA,
- English requires a 2.2 cumulative GPA and 2.0 in the major
- Sociology requires a 2.2 cumulative GPA and 2.0 in the major
- Schools of Art; Music; Dance, Theater, and Arts Administration; and Family & Consumer Sciences each require a 2.30 cumulative GPA for their programs
- School of Communication requires a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Schools of Dance and Music require auditions
- Mary Schiller Myers School of Art requires a portfolio review
- Approval from the Dean
College of Business Administration
To be admitted to The College of Business Administration, students must have completed the courses listed below and have an overall 2.5 grade point average:
- English Composition I and II (3300:111 and 3300:112)
- Speech (7600:105 or 7600:106)
- College Algebra (3450:145) or Calculus with Business Applications (3450:210)
- Principles of Microeconomics (3250:200) or Principles of Macroeconomics (3250:201)
- Accounting Principles I (6200:201) OR
- Spreadsheet Modeling & Decision Analysis (6250:250) OR
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship (6300:201) OR
- Legal & Social Environment of Business (6400:220) OR
- Marketing Principles (6600:205)
College of Education
- 2.50 in prerequisite coursework
- 2.50 cumulative GPA with 30 semester hours of credit
- There may be additional requirements according to the program
College of Engineering
- 2.30 GPA in three of the following four areas: cumulative GPA, engineering, math and science with 30 semester hours of credit
- Required coursework includes a grade of C- or better in calculus I and II
College of Health Professions
- 2.30 GPA with 30 semester hours of credit
- School of Social Work requires a 2.75 GPA
- School of Nursing requires 3.00 GPA with 12 semester hours of credit including on prerequisite science course (chemistry or anatomy & physiology)
- Transcripts from all schools of nursing are required
- Required coursework includes a grade of C or better in all prerequisites
- Approximately 160 students are admitted each year to nursing through a competitive science GPA rank order selection
- Transfer credits for courses in the social work major will be considered only if they are from a CSWE-accredited program
- Approval from the dean
- 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Emergency Management requires an associate degree in public safety-related fields
- Respiratory care, radiologic technology and surgical assisting require separate admission into each of the programs
- The Allied Health deadline is April 15 of each year (March 1 is the deadline for radiologic technology for the fall semester)
Pre-Major or Exploring Majors
- 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Students that have below a 2.00 cumulative GPA will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- If you are on academic dismissal from a previous institution at the time of application, you will not be permitted to enroll at UA for a period of one semester, not including summer sessions.
- If you attended UA prior to attending your most current institution, you must reapply.
- Transfer students will only be admitted that are in good academic standing
Transfer students are eligible for admission to The University of Akron who have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and who are in good standing at their previous institution. If an applicant’s GPA is lower than a 2.0, their application will be considered on a case by case basis. Additional materials may be requested for review before a final admission decision is made. Many programs have selective admissions guidelines and procedures for transfer students.