Online Resources for Writers
Here are some online resources that Bierce Writing Commons consultants think you will find useful. We use these resources not only when helping students in the Commons but also when doing our own writing.
The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) provides resources on all aspects of writing, including
- the writing process
- features of academic writing
- types of assignments
- the process of conducting research
- documentation styles (e.g., APA and MLA)
UW-Madison Writer's Handbook (University of Wisconsin) is another gold mine of resources for writers. It provides information about ways to
- improve your writing style
- approach the writing process
- handle writing assignments as varied as poetry reviews and scientific reports
- use correct grammar and punctuation
- document your sources
Online Writing Lab (Excelsior College) provides useful information about the writing process, working with sources, and developing arguments.
RefWorks is an online bibliography manager that generates bibliographic information for sources in a wide variety of styles. RefWorks can organize and store your reference citations and then generate a reference page in the citation style you need. Just remember to proofread the citation. This is a not a foolproof system.