Vice President for Student Success and Vice Provost for Academic Success
CANDACE CAMPBELL JACKSON
Candace Campbell Jackson, Esq., joined The University of Akron as the Executive Assistant to President Dr. Luis Proenza in December 2003.
She was promoted to Chief of Staff in 2005, to Vice President and Chief of Staff in 2007 and to Vice President for Strategic Partnerships and Chief of Staff in 2013.
Among other duties, she is primarily responsible for advising the President on organizational and policy decisions; developing, coordinating and implementing Presidential initiatives; and managing the staff.
In 2009-10, Ms. Jackson coordinated the campus-wide strategic planning and visioning process that engaged over 3,500 members of the university community and culminated in Vision 2020 – The New Gold Standard of University Performance – new vision, mission and six strategic goals – student success, global relevancy, distinction, vibrant and engaged campus, partnerships and integrated planning to sustain our success.
With Intercollegiate Athletics and University Communications and Marketing reporting to the President, Ms. Jackson provides operational oversight to those units and works closely with the Associate Vice Presidents and the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics on operational and budgeting issues.
In 2014, Ms. Jackson was named Vice President for Student Success and Vice Provost for Academic Success in the Office of Academic Affairs. Working closely with Senior Vice President and Provost Mike Sherman, Ms. Jackson provides leadership in student affairs, student success and student academic support.
Ms. Jackson has been recognized as one of the top leaders in the Northeast Ohio area by Crain’s Cleveland Business and Kaleidoscope magazines for her professional accomplishments and civic contributions. She has been recognized by:
- the Women’s Network with the Woman of Achievement Award in 2006;
- the St. Paul A.M.E. Church in 2008 with The Harold Stubbs Humanitarian Award for service to the field of education in 2008;
- the Women of Color Foundation in 2009 as the Woman of the Year;
- the Girl Scouts of Northeast Ohio as a Woman of Influence in 2010;
- Inside Business magazine in 2012 with the Athena Award for leadership and service; and
- the University of Akron School of Law in 2012 as an Outstanding Alumnae.
In 2011 Ms. Jackson was the Co-Chair of the successful Summit County Developmental Disabilities Agency levy campaign.
Formerly, Ms. Jackson was a member of in the Public Law and Corporate Departments of the law firm, Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, LLP, practicing in the Akron and Cleveland offices.
She and her husband, Mark Jackson Sr., have four children.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Director: Center for Nonprofit Excellence; Member of Executive Committee
- Director: Girl Scouts of Northeast Ohio
- Trustee: Summa Health System – Western Reserve Hospital
- Trustee: Children’s Services Board of Summit County
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D.)
- Howard University, Washington, D.C. (B.S. - Journalism)