Welcome to the University of Akron!
As a student, you will have many opportunities to learn, grow, and develop in all aspects of your life, both inside and outside of the classroom.
YOU are our number one priority. Student Success is our reason for being.
As you continue your journey towards success, we welcome and encourage you to make use of the exceptional resources that are available on campus. We will help you make every experience worthwhile and meaningful, and one that you can call your Akron Experience!
Student Employment Awards
Please join the University of Akron and the Career Center in congratulating:
- The Best Quality Award, Jamie Mapus, Student Recreation and Wellness
- The Best Professionalism Award, Stefany Huber, Academic
Thank you to all of our students who show care, dedication, and commitment to our daily work. We all appreciate your efforts and outstanding work. Thank you to our many supervisors on campus for providing such wonderful work experiences for our students, and for your care and commitment to helping our students grow as individuals, for being a significant positive influence in their lives, and for helping to make their “Akron Experience” the best that it can be.
UA has one of the 25 best recreation centers in the nation, according to the website Best College Reviews.
Our Student Recreation and Wellness Center is ranked 14th nationally, and Akron is one of only three Ohio schools — Ohio State and University of Cincinnati are the others — to made the cut.
Of our center, the site said, "Akron is a smaller MAC school, but they punch above their weight class with their world class student recreation facilities. The University of Akron recreation complex is 295,000 feet and features a 56-foot rock climbing wall, a leisure pool, a spa, and a lazy river. So you’ve got an indoor water park basically bolted onto a killer gym included when you attend Akron. Just the thing needed to wait out the cold Ohio winters."
Jim Walczyk, director of student recreation and wellness services, said the Rec Center remains a popular draw. "As the facility approaches its 10th anniversary, it continues to impress, as we frequently receive compliments from students, prospective students and parents.
"A lot of that attests to the quality of our employees," he added. "They work hard daily to ensure that we're providing great programming and services in a clean, safe and welcoming environment. Everything we do supports the success of our students, faculty, staff and community."
• ZPN Movie Series: every Wednesday-Saturday 8pm (Student Union)
• Step Afrika: February 6 8pm (EJ Thomas)
• Hearts for Humanity: February 15 5pm (Student Union)
• Leadership Conference: February 23 9:30am (Student Union)
• Alternative Spring Break: March 24-28 (6 locations)
• Akron's Got Talent: April 8 7pm (Student Union)
• LIFE Awards: April 17 5:30pm (Student Union)
• National Volunteer Week: April 21-27 (Various Locations)
• 80th Annual SongFest: April 21 3pm (EJ Thomas)
• SpringFest: May 3 5pm (Coleman Common)
• Jan. 23 – 9:09pm @ EJ Thomas Hall – Hypnotist Sailish (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC & EJ Thomas)
• Jan. 29 – 9:09pm @ SU Ballroom – Comedian Samuel J. Comroe (free – sponsored by RHPB)
• Feb. 6 – 8pm @ EJ Thomas Hall – (Rethinking Race Week) – Step Afrika (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC, ZPN & EJ Thomas)
• Feb. 12 – 9:09pm @ EJ Thomas Stage Door – Mardi Gras Dance Party (free to UA students only – w/ZipCard … sponsored by EJ Thomas, RHPB & RHC)
• Feb. 26 – 7:30pm @ EJ Thomas Hall – Zach Wahls (What Makes a Family?) (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC & EJ Thomas) (Part of UA Leads Program)
• Mar. 2 – 8pm-12am @ Quaker Square Station – CMT Dance (free – sponsored by RHPB & RHC)
• Mar. 12 – 7:17pm @ SU Starbucks – Asia Project (Slam Poet) (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC & Starbucks)
• Mar. 16 – 10am-10pm – SIBS SATURDAY (sponsored by RHPB, RHC, Sigma Lambda & NRHH)
• Apr. 9 – 7:17pm @ SU Starbucks – Singer Jackie Tohn (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC & Starbucks)
• Apr. 16 – 7:17pm @ SU Starbucks – Dakaboom (music & comedy) (free – sponsored by RHPB, RHC & Starbucks)
• Apr. 24 – 7:17pm @ SU Starbucks – Open Mic Night (free – sponsored by RHPB)
• May 6 – 9-11pm @ Rob’s Café – Ice Cream Study Break (free to residence hall students w/valid ZipCard) – sponsored by Rob’s Café, RHPB, RHC, NRHH & Sigma Lambda)
• UA Leads (free to UA students – sponsored by Sigma Lambda)
• Jan. 30 – 3:20pm @ SU Theatre – Judson Laipply (YouTube Sensation: the “Evolution of Dance”
• Feb. 13 – 3:20pm @ Honors Common Room – Jon Vroman (Living Life in the Front Row)
• Feb. 27 – 3:20pm @ SU Theatre – Ed Gerety (Making Your Mark: Leadership Principles to Meet the Challenge)
• Mar. 6 – 3:20pm – SU Theatre – Bill Farmer (Official Voice of Disney’s Goofy)
• Education Abroad Forum – January 30, 2013
• Integrating Education Abroad into Your Job Search, co-sponsored with Career Services – February 13, 2013
• Immigration & Employment Seminar – March 1, 2013
• International Student Tax Seminar, April 5, 2013
• Members Leading Student Groups Abroad – To Be Determined
Division of Student Affairs
Buchtel Hall Room 202
Akron, Ohio 44325-4701
VP Office Hours: M-F, 8 am - 5 pm
Departmental Hours vary; please see links below for specific department hours