New Roo Weekend | The kick-off to your Akron Experience!
Friday, Aug. 28 - Sunday, Aug. 30, 2015
New Roo Weekend Schedule
New Roo Weekend - Meet & Greet Kickoff Event
- 5:30 - 7 p.m. - Come to Coleman Common to meet your New Roo Weekend Leader and connect with fellow incoming freshmen!
- Get the opportunity to meet your New Roo Weekend Leader for the weekend and meet your fellow Class of 2019 classmates!
- Snacks will be provided as well as games and activities all throughout Coleman Common.
9:15 - 10:15 a.m. - Troop Meeting
- Check in for your second day begins at your designated meeting location (listed on your Troop card!), please bring your postcard with you.
- Not sure where you are going? Find one of our Information Stations located throughout campus. Keep your Troop Card handy to help find your location faster!
11:00 a.m. - Campus Engagement & Involvement Breakout Sessions
- You will receive a list of breakout sessions with your New Roo Weekend materials. Choose whichever session interests you and learn more about life here at UA.
- All sessions are repeated in the afternoon, so mark a few that stand out!
Noon - 12:45 p.m. - Your First Year Speaker: Mark Hartley - Bring Your "A" Game!
- We are pleased to welcome Mark Hartley to The University of Akron as this year's first year speaker.
- Mark Hartley is a highly acclaimed author, public speaker and encourager of others’ dreams. He is currently the director of Student Leadership and Development at Cal State San Bernardino in sunny southern California and a professional speaker represented by Coleman Productions. His primary job responsibility? To make sure his students are living up to their potential! Mark encourages them to follow through on his favorite quote, which is, “To love what you do and feel that it matters, how could anything be more fun?”
12:50 - 1:50 p.m. - Lunch, co-sponsored by PNC Bank, your on-campus banking partner
- Enjoy a provided lunch at E.J. Thomas Hall and get an opportunity make friends and meet new people.
- Visit the PNC Bank table in the lobby with any banking questions.
2:00 - 2:30 p.m. - Smart City Living
- Officers from UAPD will discuss programs and services that are available to help students successfully navigate their college careers.
2:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Sexual Respect in Our Universtiy of Akron Community
- The Sexual Assault Response Team will discuss students' roles in creating a safe and respectful UA environment.
3:15 - 3:45 p.m. - Campus Engagement & Involvement Breakout Sessions, Round Two!
- Was a session full this morning? All sessions are repeated in the afternoon, so check your materials for the list of sessions.
Additional program events are posted below and will be provided to you at the event.
12:15 - 1 p.m. - Troop Meeting
- Check in for your third day begins at your designated meeting location (listed on your Troop card!), which is the same location as Saturday!
1:10 - 2:00 p.m. - New Student Convocation
- An annual UA First Year Tradition! The University's energetic, fun and pride-filled welcome ceremony for all new first year students! Faculty, staff, and upper-level students will celebrate the arrival of the new class, and following convocation, freshman are officially part of The University of Akron family!
2:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Roo Fest
- RooFest is the University's LARGEST involvement fair! Representatives from more than 100 registered student organizations will be in the Student Union to welcome you to campus, talk with you about their organization, and give away FREE items! Stop by to learn more about getting involved on campus and the 290+ student organizations UA has to offer! Activities will take place throughout the Student Union; join us for an afternoon of involvement, freebies, and lots of fun activities! The first 2,000 students will receive a FREE tote bag!
2:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Class Schedule Tours
- Not sure where to go on Monday? No problem, we'll help you find your way! Leaving every 15 minutes outside of the Student Union by the clock tower – come walk your class schedule for your first few days of class with your New Roo Weekend Leaders.
Additional program events are posted below and will be provided to you at the event.
Additional Weekend Events
- 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Morning Yoga - For all UA students on Coleman Common. Rain location Student Union 335. Start New Roo Weekend with a morning yoga session! No experience needed! Gain experiential knowledge and learn the foundations of yoga. Snacks and water provided.
- 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Student Life - Get Involved! - Stop by the Student Union to learn about how YOU can get involved on campus! The Department of Student Life offers FREE programs, movies, and events throughout the year. Don't miss the opportunity to enter the raffle and grab free snacks and swag!
- 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - New Roo Weekend Events - Check the New Roo Weekend schedule of events for more information.
- 7:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. – Late Night in the Rec sponsored by Campus Focus - Free pizza throughout the evening and a massive dodge ball game at 10 p.m. All of the regular Rec activities which include the pool, basketball, futsal, climbing wall, and fitness equipment will be available until close.
- 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – ZPN Movie-Pitch Perfect 2 – ZPN will be showing Pitch Perfect 2 for students in the Student Union Theater- Admission to the movie includes FREE popcorn and a raffle ticket to win prizes!
- 9:09 p.m. – RHPB 9:09 Show - Deans of Comedy – The Deans of College Comedy is a one-of-a-kind show at EJ Thomas. Four of the best college comics in America, together on the same stage at last. The Deans are Steve Hofstetter (15 million YouTube views, host of Laughs on Fox), Jay Black (writer and co-star of the ION original movie Meet My Valentine), Ronnie Jordan (appearances on HBO, BET, and Showtime), and Taylor Tomlinson (NBC’s Last Comic Standing). You don’t want to miss this!
- 11:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – FSL & CP Glow Party – Get your late night started off right by joining us for a Glow Party in the Student Union! Students will receive a white t-shirt, highlighters, and glow-in-the-dark accessories to create their own look for the evening (supplies are limited). There will be music, dancing, free food, and a photo booth. This event is open and FREE to all students.
- 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Fraternity & Sorority Life Ice Cream Social in the Student Union Ballrooms - Join the fraternity and sorority community for free ice cream! Stop by this event to learn more about fraternity and sorority life, as all 23 fraternities/sororities at UA will have a table set-up to share more information about their chapter and the benefits of getting involved in Greek Life. Fraternity and sorority members will be able to answer questions about how to join a fraternity or sorority and what being a member is really all about. This event is a great way to meet new people. All UA students are invited to come and learn more about fraternity and sorority life!
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Class Schedules Tours outside of the Student Union – Join your New Roo Weekend Leaders for a chance to walk your class schedule! Tours will be leaving every few minutes from the clock tower outside of the Student Union.
- 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – RecFest on Coleman Commons - Stop by to experience what SRWS has to offer and learn about recreational opportunities with outdoor adventure, intramural sports, aquatics, fitness and wellness. Participate in individual and group challenges to win prizes and Clif Bars.
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – RA Lip Sync in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall - Resident Assistants throughout the halls select themes and dress and perform based on the themes!
- 8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. – RHPB Casino Night in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall - Karaoke, games, photo booth, food, drinks, and more!
- 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – Avengers 2 presented by ZPN in the Student Union Theatre - ZPN will be showing Avengers 2 for students in the SU Theater- Admission to the movie includes FREE popcorn and a raffle ticket to win prizes!
- 11:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – ZPN Late Night in the Student Union – Campus Feud - ZPN will be providing this interactive game show in the Student Union, the first of many Late Night events this year! ZPN can promise that it will be FUN, INTERACTIVE, INNOVATIVE, and best of all - FREE! There will be food and prizes to complement the evening.
- 1:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. – Extended hours at the Student Recreation & Wellness Center
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Off-Campus Student Services Open House in the Student Union - OCSS information provided to all students going through RooFest about programs and services. Commuter students will also be able to pick up their parking permit. All students will learn more about the programs and services provided by the Downtown Akron Partnership, and receive a Do Downtown discount card.
- 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – Fitness Orientations at the Student Recreation & Wellness Center - Head to the Rec center to learn about all the fitness equipment and fitness center offerings
- 4:00 p.m. & 5:00 p.m. – RecWorks Session in the Student Recreation & Wellness Center Classroom - Learn about Student Employment within Recreation - Intramural Sports, Outdoor Adventure, Fitness, Operations, Aquatics. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive registration link.
- 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Pitch Perfect 2 presented by ZPN in the Student Union Theatre - ZPN will be showing Pitch Perfect 2 for students in the SU Theater- Admission to the movie includes FREE popcorn and a raffle ticket to win prizes!
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Group Exercise Sampler in the Student Recreation & Wellness Center, Studio A - Come try out two of our most popular Group Exercise classes!
Not to worry! Stop at an Information Station table on Friday night at the Meet & Greet Kickoff Event or Saturday morning when you return to campus. We will get you taken care of!
- Your Zip Card - you will be swiping in to New Roo Weekend events
- The postcard you receive in August with your Troop number on it
- Didn't get it? Don't worry! We have a list of everyone. Just show up to Friday's event and we can get you taken care of. Find an Information Station on Saturday and someone will direct you to the right location!
- A water bottle - we will have water stations set up around campus on Saturday
- Snacks - Lunch is provided on Saturday, but you may want something for in-between sessions!
- Make sure your schedule is clear from Friday, August 28 - Sunday, August 30
- Follow @NewRooWeekend on Twitter
- Sign up for Z-Alert text messaging to receive important campus updates
- Check your UA e-mail throughout the summer
- Print or write down a copy of your fall schedule
- You can also download UA Mobile, free for iPhone and Android.
From the North, Taking I-77
Follow I-77 south to the Wolf Ledges/Grant Street exit. Turn left at the first light, onto Wolf Ledges, or left at the second light onto Grant Street. Both roads lead to Exchange Street on the south edge of campus. Take a right onto Exchange Street. The entrance to the South Campus Parking Deck (Lot 36) is across the street from McDonalds. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the North, Taking Route 8
Exit at Buchtel Avenue. Turn right on Buchtel Avenue. Turn left onto Spicer Street. You may enter the East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) off of Spicer Street. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the South, Taking I-77/Route 8
Follow The University of Akron exit off Route 8 marked Buchtel Avenue/Carroll Street. Turn left on to Carroll Street. The East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) will be on your right. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the West, Taking I-76
Follow I-76 eastbound and exit onto Wolf Ledges/Grant Street. Turn left at the first light onto Wolf Ledges, or left at the second light onto Grant Street. Both roads lead to Exchange Street on the south edge of campus. Take a right onto Exchange Street. The entrance to the South Campus Parking Deck (Lot 36) is across the street from McDonalds. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
From the East, Taking I-76
From the East, follow I-76 west into Akron. Exit to Route 8 north. The first exit off Route 8 is Buchtel/Carroll. Turn left at Carroll to reach campus. The East Campus Parking Deck (Lot 1) will be on your right. Signage stating New Roo Weekend Parking will be posted outside of the deck.
Think of college as an investment, like buying a car. You had to learn how to drive a car, how to maintain it, how to get the most out of it. College is the same. At New Roo Weekend, we'll give you dozens of tips to help you get ahead. You'll meet new friends, faculty members and staff. Plus, you'll have some fun, too. You don't want to miss it!
Yes! We have a lot to share, and we've carefully planned each day to help prepare you to succeed academically here.
No. Students will be expected to commute to and from campus as they would for class.
No! New Roo Weekend builds upon your Advising and Registration program. We'll be sharing a lot of new information during New Roo Weekend.
The weekend is exclusively for new students. But don't worry parents and guests — there will be hundreds of events in the months ahead that you can attend with your new student.
Troops & Meeting Locations
Click here for a complete list of Troops and their Troop Meeting locations!
View UA's campus map to find your Troop Meeting location!
Students will be notified via Twitter by following @NewRooWeekend in the event that we need to change venue.