New Roo Weekend | The kick-off to your Akron Experience!
Friday, Aug. 22 through Sunday, Aug. 24
Tentative schedule of events
- 5 – 6 p.m. – Check in for New Roo Weekend at InfoCision Stadium
- last names A-L from 5 to 5:30 p.m.
- last names M-Z from 5:30 to 6 p.m.
- 5 – 6 p.m. – New Roo Weekend Cookout in InfoCision Stadium during check in
- 6 – 6:30 p.m. – New Roo Weekend Kickoff 2014 in InfoCision Stadium
- 7 p.m. – Exhibition soccer game vs. Syracuse
- 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. – Team Meetings in campus classrooms
- 11 – 11:45 a.m. – Hoan Do (Featured Speaker) in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
- 11:55 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. – Boxed lunches outside of E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
- 12:50 – 1:50 p.m. – Sexual Assault Prevention in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
- 1:50 – 2:30 p.m. – Campus Safety in E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
- 3 – 4 p.m. – Getting Involved on Campus Breakout Sessions
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Getting Involved on Campus Breakout Sessions repeated
- 5:30 p.m. – Fraternity and Sorority Life Ice Cream Social
- 12:15 p.m. – Team Meetings in campus classrooms
- 1 – 2 p.m. – New Student Convocation in James A. Rhodes Arena
- 2 – 4 p.m. – Roo Fest in the Student Union
- 2 p.m. – Class schedule tours leaving outside of the Student Union by the clock tower every 15 minutes
The weekend is exclusively for new students. But don't worry parents and guests — there will be hundreds of events in the months ahead that you can attend with your new student.
- Your Zip Card - you will be swiping in to New Roo Weekend events
- The postcard you receive in August with your team number on it
- Didn't get it? Don't worry! Just come and check in at InfoCision Stadium on Friday between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and we will get you taken care of
- A water bottle - we will have water stations set up around campus on Saturday
- Snacks - dinner is provided on Friday and lunch is provided on Saturday
- Make sure your schedule is clear from Friday, August 22 - Sunday, August 24
- Follow @NewRooWeekend on Twitter
- Sign up for Z-Alert text messaging to receive important campus updates
- Check your UA e-mail throughout the summer
- Print or write down a copy of your fall schedule
- You can also download UA Mobile, free for iPhone and Android.
Yes. Think of college as an investment, like buying a car. You had to learn how to drive a car, how to maintain it, how to get the most out of it. College is the same. At New Roo Weekend, we'll give you dozens of tips to help you get ahead. You'll meet new friends, faculty members and staff. Plus, you'll have some fun, too. You don't want to miss it!
Yes! We have a lot to share, and we've carefully planned each day to help prepare you to succeed academically here.
No. Students will be expected to commute to and from campus as they would for class.
No! New Roo Weekend builds upon your Advising and Registration program. We'll be sharing a lot of new information during New Roo Weekend.
Come to Simmons Hall, room 101 at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23 and we will give you your materials for the weekend.