Social/Cultural balance is the ability to interact with others. Develop and cultivate close friendships and interact with people of different backgrounds, lifestyles, and abilities.
It involves using good communications skills, having meaningful relationships, respecting yourself and others, and creating a support system that includes family members and friends.
- Do I plan time to be with my family and friends?
- Do I enjoy the time I spend with others?
- Are my relationships with others positive and rewarding?
- Do I explore diversity by interacting with people of other cultures, backgrounds, and beliefs?
Signs of Good Social Wellness
- Ability to adjust and develop new friendships when you move to a new place
- You aren't afraid to go to places where you might not know anyone
- You value diversity and treat others with respect
- You value time alone
- You perceive that people ENJOY being with you
- You maintain the same values, beliefs, and attitudes when you're interacting in a group, as you do when you interact with just one other person
- You are aware of the social concerns in your community and are involved in solving community problems
- You keep yourself informed of local, national, and world news
The University of Akron Resources
Comprehensive psychological services are offered to currently enrolled students at the Counseling Center for free. A culturally diverse staff of licensed psychologists and doctoral trainees provide psychological counseling and psychotherapy, career counseling, testing services, outreach and consultation to the university community.
The place to find concerts and activities, join one of over 200 student organization or play in the game room. So many things to do with UA Student Life.
Off Campus Student Services
We are your one-stop resource for students who live off-campus or plan to live off campus, their parents, and landlords. We help students locate housing, find roommates and get answers to questions related to off-campus living.
Office of Multicultural Development
They prepare students to live and excel in a global society. As an advocate for equity and social justice, they ensure that students of diverse ethnic, social and cultural backgrounds achieve their fullest potential in an affirming environment which supports access, retention, and successful completion of goals.
Office of International Programs
They strive to enrich student learning through cross-cultural engagement, internationalizing the campus and the greater University of Akron community.
Office of Inclusion and Equity
The goal of the Office of Inclusion and Equity is to increase the impact of UA’s inclusive excellence commitment, leading to wider understanding and greater success for all students.
Women's Resource Center
The center is a safe space used as a catalyst for creating and expanding inclusive academic and professional advancement for women.
Akron Area Arts and Culture
Akron, in Northeast Ohio, offers a wealth of cultural activities and events. Learn more about theater, music, and art in the Akron and Summit County area.
Akron African Culture
The Akron African American Cultural Association (AAACA) was organized to promote the educational, civic, and cultural needs of the Akron community.
Akron Area Arts
The Akron Area Arts Alliance is committed to being the leading advocacy organization for arts and culture in Greater Akron, representing the collaborative voice of the non-profit community.
Shaw (Akron Area) Jewish Community Center
The Shaw JCC is a community for everyone! If you are looking for personal growth at any stage of your life, we offer quality programs and services to meet your needs and help you reach your goals.