Civil Engineering (MS)

The Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Akron offers master of science in six disciplines: computational mechanics, environmental engineering, hydraulic engineering, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, and transportation engineering. All programs enable students to work closely with experienced, knowledgeable faculty members and require rigorous research.

Admission Requirements

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree in Engineering
  • GRE (may be waived for domestic students or students on non-thesis option)
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Statement of purpose
  • Resume

Application Deadline

Applications for the master's program in Civil Engineering are accepted on a rolling basis.

Additional Information

Master's students are encouraged to select an area of specialization for concentration of graduate study. Two options are available for organization of the master's program. The thesis option of the MS program is the preferred choice and consists of at least 15 credit hours of civil engineering courses at or above the 500 level, 3 credit hours of an approved mathematics or science elective, 6 credits of approved electives and 6 credits for the thesis.

A non-thesis option does exist, and is used primarily for part-time students. Requirements include 15 credits of civil engineering courses at or above the 500 level, 3 credits of an approved science or mathematics elective, 12 credits of approved technical electives and a 2 credit engineering report.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.