JD/MPA (Joint Degree Program)

The combined Juris Doctor and Master of Public Administration is 109-credit-hour degree for students seeking training in both the legal and public service fields. Students complete 11 courses (33 credit hours) in the MPA program and 76 credit hours in The University of Akron School of Law. Students must be accepted to both programs to participate.

Admission Requirements

Students must be admitted to both the School of Law and the master's degree program in Public Administration in order to participate in the joint degree program.

Requirements for admission to the master's degree program in Public Administration:

  • One page personal essay explaining reasons for pursuing the degree program
  • Resume
  • GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT (if undergraduate cumulative grade point average is below 3.0)
  • Three letters of recommendation (required only if applying for a graduate assistantship)

Applicants should contact the School of Law for those specific admission requirements.

Application Deadline

Applications to the master's degree program in Public Administration are accepted on a rolling basis.

Applicants who wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship must meet the following application deadlines:

  • April 1 for Summer enrollment
  • July 1 for Fall enrollment
  • November 15 for Spring enrollment

Additional Information

If JD/MPA students seek to graduate in 3 years, it necessitates scheduling summer course work. These students are urged to consult with their advisor as soon as possible. There is a JD/MPA Program of Study Form is available on the Department’s Website, but it does not include law

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.