Financial aid programs were developed by federal and state governments, as well as by institutions of postsecondary learning to assist students from families with limited resources in meeting their educational expenses. The primary purpose of financial aid is to ensure that no person is denied the opportunity of attending college because of financial need.
Generally, financial aid is provided in four forms: scholarships, grants, loans and work. To apply for all types of state and federal aid and programs, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will be required to complete a separate application for University and non-university scholarships.
The Mission of The University of Akron's Office of Student Financial Aid is to help students achieve their educational potential. This office accomplishes this by:
- Adhering to state and federal regulations as well as University policies regarding the awarding of aid funds
- Being committed to removing financial barriers for those who wish to pursue postsecondary learning
- Making every effort to assist students with financial need
- Having an awareness of the issues affecting our students and advocating for our students' interests at the institutional, state and federal levels
- Educating our students and their families by providing quality consumer information
- Respecting the dignity and diversity of each one of our students by providing services that do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age or economic status
- Ensuring the confidentiality of our students’ information
- Assuring the uniform application of all needs analysis formulas consistently across The University of Akron's full population of financial aid applicants
- Committing to the highest level of ethical behavior by avoiding conflict of interest or the appearance of such a conflict
Maintaining the highest level of professionalism reflects the Student Financial Aid office's commitment to the goals and mission of The University of Akron.
The Financial Aid website will serve as your guide. It has all the information needed to get started with financial aid applications and learn about the process of using aid to pay for college.