Whether your interests lie in performance, music education, technology or other areas, music can be a rewarding career choice.
- Comprehensive music curriculum combines:
- traditional classroom instruction
- individualized instruction
- practical experiences
- are highly accomplished in their areas of specialization
- have careers as principal players in professional orchestras
- are composers and theorists
The School of Music offers an array of hands-on learning experiences:
- music studios
- computer lab,
- electronic music studio
- practice modules
- Music Computer Center has MIDI/sound and video equipment
- 250-seat Guzzetta Recital Hall
- 3,000-seat E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall
Music majors are encouraged and required to hone performance skills by participating in a wide variety of performing ensembles. Opportunities on campus include:
- Symphony Orchestra
- Concert Choir
- University Singers
- Akron Voices
- University Orchestras
- Steel Drum Band
- UA Marching Band
- Akron New Music Ensemble
- jazz ensembles and combos
- brass, woodwind and guitar ensembles
- string trios and quartets
- percussion ensembles
Music Student Organizations
Interact with other music students and professionals through organizations such as:
- Ohio Collegiate Music Educators Association,
- Northeastern Ohio Clarinet Association
- Northeastern Ohio Flute Association
- Music — B.A.
- Composition — B.M.
- Jazz — B.M.
- Piano Performance —B.M.
- Strings Performance — B.M.
- Woodwinds Performance — B.M.
- Percussion Performance — B.M.
- Guitar Performance — B.M.
- Piano Accompaniment — B.M.
- Brass Performance — B.M.
- Voice Performance — B.M.
- Music Education - Vocal/Keyboard — B.M.
- Music Education - Instrumental String — B.M.
- Music Education - Instrumental Band — B.M.
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.