History offers us the way to understand and recapture the past as we strive to shape the present and the future.
- Courses provide the fundamentals of historical training and help develop critical thinking skills.
- are innovative and interactive
- dedicated to excellence in research and service
Experience history firsthand through our research facilities:
- Pan African Center for Community Studies
- Sally Miller Center for the Humanities
- Journal of Northeast Ohio History offers editorial experience and publication opportunities
Gain practical professional experience through UA's optional cooperative education program. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school while earning a competitive salary.
Recent placements include:
- Hale Farm and Village
- Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens
- Western Reserve Historical Society
- City of Akron Planning Department
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Akron Beacon Journal
- Cleveland Orchestra
History Student Organizations
Interact with other history students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Phi Alpha Theta (history honorary)
- Pre-Law Club
- College Democrats
- College Republicans
- Associated Student Government
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.
Degrees and Preparation
A degree in history paves the way to a wide variety of career opportunities in such fields as:
- elective office
- diplomatic service
Employment within the field of history is growing. Job prospects are especially good for those with advanced degrees.
A&S Careers Program
Creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- lending library with up-to-date, career-related publications
- computer workroom for resume writing and employment research
- volunteer, paid and for-credit internship placement on and off campus
- department-specific mentoring arrangements