Political Science Fundamentals
Political science is the study of the institutions and procedures people use to regulate conflict within and between nations.
- Coursework addresses:
- U.S. political and government systems
- institutions of other nations
- political systems and international connections
- war and peace
- global balance of power
- are innovative and interactive
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
The Department of Political Science is home to the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics, a public education and research center where students learn how to become active and competent in political life.
Gain practical professional experience through UA's optional cooperative education program. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school while earning a competitive salary.
- The Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics provides internship opportunities with political party organizations, candidates, interest groups and public officials at the national, state and local levels.
Political Science Student Organizations
Interact with other political science students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Pi Sigma Alpha (political science honorary)
- Pre-Law Club
- College Democrats
- College Republicans
- Associated Student Government
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.
Degrees and Preparation
A degree in political science opens the door to many career opportunities, such as:
- administrators and elected officials at the local, state and national levels
- teachers at secondary education or college levels
Other career options include:
- government and private-sector policy analysis
- policing and corrections
- mass media and news analysis
- foreign service and overseas government programs
- campaigns and elections
- government liaison work
- nonprofit organization work
Opportunities are growing the field of political science and related fields. Job prospects are especially good for those with advanced degrees.
A&S Careers Program
Creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- lending library with up-to-date, career-related publications
- computer workroom for resume writing and employment research
- volunteer, paid and for-credit internship placement on and off campus
- department-specific mentoring arrangements