Dancers express ideas, stories, rhythm, and sound with their bodies. They perform in a variety of settings, presenting an array of dance types. UA’s dance program combines traditional academics with performance opportunities and technical training in ballet, pointe, modern, jazz and tap.
- Program combines traditional academics with performance opportunities and technical training in ballet, pointe, modern, jazz and tap
- Placement audition required
- Gain a clear understanding of:
- dance techniques
- history of dance
- pedagogical background for preparation to teach
- dance composition
- have extensive performance backgrounds
- are innovative and interactive
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning and dance performances
As a dance major, you will perfect your craft through study and performance with:
- The University of Akron Dance Company
- The University of Akron Dance Company Touring Ensemble - productions are created and performed by dance students using ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, and modern dance in Akron public schools to expose young audiences to dance as an art form
Dance Student Organizations
Interact with other dance students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Touring Ensemble
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.
Degrees and Preparation
A degree in dance offers preparation for careers as performing, teaching or creating choreography.
Opportunities will continue to grow for talented and creative individuals.
The Career Center creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- Career Resource Library
- computer stations for resume writing and employment research
- UA Career Fairs