Disabilities Awareness Week 2017
October 30 - November 3
Monday October 30th
- From 10am-2pm there will be a Photobooth in the Trapazoid Lounge in the Student Union. Zippy has been invited to make an appearance. This is a great way for students to snap a picture with friends while displaying different disability awareness quotes, and also share to their social media. The event has been a hit in the past and a great way to start off DAW.
Tuesday October 31st
- Tammy Stitz (Associate Professor and Applied Science Librarian at the University of Akron) and Shelly Blundell (Assistant Professor of Journalism and Communication at Youngstown State University) will be holding a faculty presentation from 10-11am at The Science and Engineering Technology Library (ASEC 104), Learning Studio (ASEC 23). This presentation will be a hands-on faculty session where topics will be chosen, including embedding universal design, common PDF problems, evaluating web pages, and more.
- Outside the Student Union (Starbucks Entrance) there will be a table set-up from 10am-2pm for “Chalk The Walk” and the “Spread the Word to End the Word Campaign”. Students/faculty/staff will have the opportunity to “chalk” different, positive disability awareness messages for all students to see on the walkways around campus. Students/faculty/staff will also have the opportunity to sign the “Spread the Word to End the Word” banner to pledge to stop using the “r” word. It is a national campaign that is hosted all over college campuses in the US.
Wednesday November 1st
- Professor Tom Xiao will be hosting an interactive session titled “Accessibility for Human/Computer Interface” for students/faculty/staff in the Bierce Library Learning Studio 154 from 1-2pm. His session will focus on the different technologies that have come out over the past few years that have been crucial in the Disability Services Field. He will be focusing on Google’s accessibility features.
- Residence Life and Housing is hosting Matt Glowacki from 3:20-5pm in the Student Union Theater. Matt is a comedian who uses a wheelchair. He focuses on educating others about disability and overcoming social justice.
Thursday November 2nd
- Melissa Simmons and Maddie Schulz will be hosting a “Disability 101:Working with Students with Disabilities” brown bag lunch presentation from 12-1pm in the Student Union room 308. This presentation is geared towards faculty/staff members learning more in depth about the Office of Accessibility, how accommodations are offered, and how the office and faculty can partner together in better serving our students with disabilities on campus
- At 7pm in the Simmons Hall Auditorium a documentary titled “When I Stutter” will be showcased. This is a documentary that was featured in the Cleveland Film Festival about a gentleman who stutters. Dr. Scott Palisak, an Assistant Professor of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology here at UA was featured in the documentary film.
Friday November 3rd
- Our most popular event for the 3rd year in a row, “Destress with Dogs” will take place from 10am-2pm in the Bierce Library Lobby. This event raises mental health awareness and how dogs/animals can play a positive role in anyone’s lives. We have 9 dogs attending and students can learn more about the “Wagtime Therapy Dogs” program and destress by petting/cuddling/loving on the pups!