Disability Services for Postsecondary Students

The Office of Accessibility would like to welcome students in the College Credit Plus Program (CCP) here at The University of Akron. These are fantastic initiatives, and we hope you excel throughout your program.

The Office of Accessibility is here to help you do that! The Office of Accessibility is the main office on campus that provides academic accommodations to students with disabilities.

Please read this information sheet to understand the differences between disability-related services provided in high school and what you can expect in a college setting.

Since you are taking University of Akron classes, you will need to follow the procedures to be registered with the Office of Accessibility if you would like to receive disability-related accommodations here on campus.

Critical Information

It is very important that you understand the differences between high school and college disability-related services. Contact the Office of Accessibility with questions and concerns at 330-972-7928 or visit our Web site.

Here are some of the major differences:

  • Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 Plans are not automatically transferred to college, even for postsecondary students who are in high school and college at the same time. You must follow the procedure to register with the Office of Accessibility so that we can determine 1) if you are eligible under applicable civil rights laws to receive disability-related services and 2) what types of services match the impact of the disability or disabilities. See our Web site for information on registering with us.

  • Students must identify themselves to the Office of Accessibility in order to receive services. Students must provide the college with documentation of a disability, the cost of which must be borne by the student. Fill out an application on our Link to Student Application and upload your most current IEP, ETR or MFE (Evaluation Team Report or Multi-factored Evaluation) and/or 504 Plans. We will examine them to see if they provide adequate documentation. If additional documentation is required, we will provide you information about what is needed. See our Web site for the documentation guidelines across different types of disabilities.

  • Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations to known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual. Essential elements of a course or essential courses in a degree program are required, and colleges do not modify these standards.

  • Students with disabilities typically meet with a Disability Specialist to arrange for accommodations. You are welcome to meet with your Disability Specialist on a student-initiated basis throughout the semester, but team meetings or progress reports are not required.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Accessibility for assistance! We will guide you through all of the steps to help ensure that you have access to our office and to your education at The University of Akron.