Frequently asked questions

Application process

I submitted all my application materials. When should I expect to hear from the University?

Once your application is complete (admission application form, college prep form, application fee, transcripts and test scores), we need approximately two to three weeks to complete processing. At peak times, December through February, it may take four to six weeks.

How do I know if you received all my application materials?

Log on to Zipline to check the status of your application.

I want to check on my application, but I forgot my UANet ID and password. Who can help me?

You can call the Helpdesk at 330-972-6888.

I have a GED. How do I apply?

Complete the admission application and indicate that you received your GED.

I was homeschooled. What other information do you need?

In addition to the application requirements, please submit:

  • A transcript of studies and supporting documents such as book lists and other related documentation
  • A signed copy of the superintendent’s exemption letter

You can mail them to:

The University of Akron
Office of Admissions
Akron, OH 44325-2001

Getting ready

When do I come to orientation?

After you've submitted your Intent to Enroll form and paid the confirmation fee, you will receive an Enrollment Packet that lists your date for New Student Orientation. Learn more about the enrollment process.

My orientation letter says I need to take placement testing. What does that mean?

Placement tests help determine the right classes for you to take. Remember to take your placement tests at least a week before you come to orientation. Learn more about placement tests.

When do I get my roommate assignment?

Housing selection/assignments are made on a rolling basis depending on when you completed your housing contract.

Being a student

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

College is a time of growth and new experiences. Your new roommate will be different from you... chances are, he or she is just as apprehensive about living with a stranger, too! The Department of Residence Life and Housing works very hard to place compatible roommates together. Because of all the time and effort spent on residence hall assignments, there is a 30-day freeze on housing changes. Give your living situation a try... you may make a new best friend in the process.

Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes. All students are permitted to bring a car to campus – yes, even freshmen! You will need a parking permit, available through the Office of Parking Services. Permits are based on the semester calendar. If you have other parking questions, please visit Parking Services online.

If you don't bring a car, you can take the Roo Express around campus and even around Akron! Check out the Roo Express schedule for details.

I’m so excited to start school… where can I get some great “Fear the Roo!” gear for the summer?

Glad you asked! The University of Akron has two campus bookstores; one in the Student Union, and the other in the Polsky Building on High Street. The Zips Adidas Team Shop, located in InfoCision Stadium, has a great selection of Zips gear, too... great for graduation wish lists!

I keep hearing funny abbreviations, and I don’t recognize any of them! What do all those short terms mean?

This is a good one. There are some shortened terms you might hear around campus... kind of a verbal shorthand for some of our more wordy places. Here are a few of the more common ones. See how many you already know!

JAR James A. Rhodes Arena, home of the Zips basketball teams and women’s volleyball
ONAT Ocasek Natatorium, which houses an Olympic-size swimming pool
Rob’s Robertson’s Dining Café in the North Quad dining hall
The Rec Student Recreation and Wellness Center... it’s a workout just saying it!

Student services

What if I lose my Zip Card?

Go to the Zip Card office to get a replacement.

Where do I go if I get sick during the semester?

You can go to the Health Center in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center to see a health care professional. No insurance needed.

I need extra help with studying and taking tests, or I had an IEP in high school. Can I get similar help at UA?

The Office of Accessibility provides reasonable accommodations and a supportive, well-resourced environment to students with disabilities in order to promote student success in the university environment.

Was this information helpful?