Letter to parents
Greetings! I hope that you find this parent communication informational and useful as you support your UA student.
Your freshman will soon be completing his or her first semester at UA. Congratulations to your student and you! We have some tips on how to encourage and support your student while discussing grades and other accomplishments of this first semester.
Also in this letter is information on final grades, tips from academic advisers, housing services over break, FAFSA information, and more. We wish you a safe and wonderful time over the holidays with family, and a prosperous New Year.
Assistant Vice President for Student Success
Making the grade
Students can begin viewing grades in My Akron beginning Saturday, Dec. 7. Grades become official on Wednesday, Dec. 18. Keep in mind, a grade put into the system one day by an instructor will not appear until the next day.
Based on semester and cumulative grade point average (GPA), a few things may occur:
- Make the Dean's List: Qualifying students will receive a congratulatory letter from the dean of the college or vice president of the division of the academic unit.
- Students who did not meet the minimum GPA of 2.0 and will receive a letter with information about next steps. Your student should read the letter and follow any instructions. The student’s academic advisor will meet with the student to discuss ways to improve academic performance and make recommendations and referrals that are appropriate for the situation.
Tips from academic advisers
Remember that this first semester has been a period of adjustment for your student. Not only has he or she had to adjust to a different academic structure , but many students moved from home, made new friends, had to take personal responsibility for schedules, assignments, bills, and use of time.
Use this break for discussion and reflection for you and your student. Help this discussion be a celebration for accomplishments and goal setting for improvement.
- Ask how he or she thinks the semester went and what they learned about college life during the semester.
- Ask your student to share his or her grades with you which will be available to view by Wednesday. Dec. 18 in My Akron. See how.
- Ask what factors contributed to the outcome of this first semester
Is your student confident in the choice of major? Does he or she need help in researching career options suited for his or her interests? If there is a possibility of a change of major encourage your student to discuss this with his or her academic adviser.
Encourage your student to e-mail or meet with his or her academic adviser to discuss the campus resources available to meet academic and career goals. The academic adviser should encourage your student to become active in student organizations, participate in study groups and seek tutoring for key courses. The adviser also will make referrals to other campus resources appropriate to your student’s situation.
- Was the academic work more difficult or easier than he or she thought it would be?
- Is work taking too much time?
- Did he or she acclimate to campus well, make friends, join an organization?
Housing services over break
The residence halls will close at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15, and reopen at noon on Friday, Jan. 10. Learn about staying in the hall over break and services.
Students who live off-campus and have a house that will be unoccupied for a period of time can sign up for a free, periodic house check through a partnership with University and City of Akron Police. Registration begins Friday, Dec. 6. See the details and sign up online.
About billing for spring classes
The due date (to have made the payment in full or sign up for the payment plan) for the spring 2014 semester is Monday, Jan. 13, 2014. See ways to pay.
- Remember: Your student has certain privacy rights on campus. The FERPA release allows the University to disclose information in person, or by phone, to individuals authorized by the student. The FERPA form can be found on our website. Otherwise, UA cannot share any unauthorized information, such as amount due, financial aid, etc.
- A student can also authorize parent access to the eBill, Make a Payment and the Payment Plan signup through My Akron. Go to my.uakron.edu, enter the student’s UAnet ID and password, click on “Student Center,” then Finances.
University services available over the holidays
The University will be closed Monday, Dec. 23 through Monday, Jan. 1, and reopen at 8 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2014.
The spring 2014 semester will begin Monday, Jan. 13.
Learn more about UA services available over the holidays.
All of us here at the University wish you and your family a warm holiday season and New Year.