Biology (and Pre-Med)
Biology is the fastest-growing field of science today - its impact is carried to many fronts - medicine and health care; the environment and climate changes; global population and food sources.
- Core courses provide the fundamentals of modern biology (eg. principles of biology, evolution, ecology, cell and molecular biology, genetics)
- You can earn a bachelor's of science degree with a major in biology or natural sciences, and within these programs you will be able to choose such courses as:
- pre-med track
- ecology and evolution
- molecular biology
- population biology
- field ecology
- advanced genetics
- biology of behavior
- comparative biomechanics
- animal physiology
- aquatic biology
- Your work within the Department of Biology can also serve as a cornerstone for earning a combined B.S./M.D. or B.S./M.S. degree.
Coursework will prepare you for professional schools, such as medical, dental, veterinary and pharmacy. In collaboration with our College of Education, our department can also prepare you to teach high school biology.
Integrated Approach to Experimentation
We cross traditional boundaries between subdisciplines, from the cellular to the ecosystem level. This cutting-edge approach to research also forms the basis for much of our teaching, as many courses offer hands-on training and a multidisciplinary methodology.
- are innovative and interactive in both the classroom and laboratory environment
- have been recognized with numerous teaching awards
- use multimedia technology and research experiences to enhance classroom learning
The Department of Biology offers an array of research experiences.
- live-animal facility and brand new teaching and research laboratories
- molecular genetics facility, including an automated DNA sequencer and RealTime PCR
- advanced microscopy suite
- 400-acre nature preserve with a mixture of habitats
Recent Placements Include:
- EnviroScience Inc.
- Battelle Memorial Institute
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency
- Ohio Nature Conservancy
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Biology Student Organizations
Interact with other biology students and professionals in the field through such organizations as:
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
- Biology Club
- Future Physician’s Club