BIOLOGY JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Find current Biology jobs on Career Center site...
EMPLOYMENT, INTERNSHIPS AND VOLUNTEERING
Akron Zoo (Internships, volunteering, employment)
Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), Career Center
Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, Job Board
Habitat and Access Specialist
Wyoming Game and Fish Department
CLOSING DATE:02/12/20 11:59 PM
You match some of Wyoming Game and Fish Department's preferences
- School Year
- U.S. Work Authorization
Employer requires work authorization.
Job Description: The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Habitat and Access Specialist based out of Pinedale, WY. This role is part of a team that develops, manages and maintains land owned and associated with the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. This includes Wildlife Habitat Management Areas (WHMA), Public Access Areas (PAA) and elk feed grounds within the Pinedale, Jackson and Green River Regions.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-4507, email@example.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- The position is an integral part of the Habitat & Access team that is responsible for the management, development, and maintenance of land owned and associated with the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. This includes WHMAs, elk feed grounds, and PAAs.
- Each WHMA will have wildlife habitat improvements, recreation improvements, irrigation systems, wetland complexes, fences, department buildings, and numerous other improvements.
- Each PAA will have parking areas with recreational improvements such as roads, comfort stations, car barriers, boat docks, and signs.
- Each Feed ground will have stockyards, hay sheds, corrals, and other facilities.
- This position will work on other projects that improve or develop aquatic and terrestrial wildlife habitat within the state.
- Position will be responsible for haying, irrigation, weed identification, wetland management, fence construction/maintenance, and other land management duties.
- Position provides advice on the planning and design of wildlife habitat development projects
- Responsible for the care, safety, maintenance, and repairs of 4x4 pickups, heavy trucks, a variety of trailers, heavy equipment, farm equipment, and implements, power tools, hand tools, transits, laser levels, ATVs and other equipment
Preference may be given to those with a bachelor's degree in wildlife management, range management, ecology, biology, zoology, agriculture or equivalent experience.
**Must have a valid driver's license and be able to obtain CDL with a current medical certificate within one year.
- Knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of wildlife sciences.
- Knowledge of how to identify various wildlife, domestic animals, and/or plant species, seeds, or grain.
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations and/or policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of natural resource management, range management, wetland management, and habitat management.
- Knowledge of engineering, construction, heavy equipment, farm equipment, use and construction procedures for working on the projects.
- Knowledge of native Wyoming plants and introduced plants for habitat work.
- Knowledge of noxious and invasive plants.
- Knowledge of safe work practices.
- Skill in organizing, planning, prioritizing, and time management for self and crew.
- Skill to evaluate and problem solve.
- Skills in following and coordinating work plans, equipment schedules, instructions, project plans, and organizing personnel to complete projects and tasks as well as the ability to work alone and exercise independent judgment.
- Skill in written and oral communication and in interpersonal relations.
- Must be able to effectively and safely operate large trucks, heavy equipment, farm machinery, power and hand tools.
- Skill in basic carpentry, welding, HVAC, plumbing.
- Ability to lead employees.
- Ability to work alone and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to utilize a computer to prepare plans, reports, budgets, and maps. Use and knowledge of All-Topo Pro, Microsoft Excel, and Word are required.
- Knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of biological science.
- Knowledge of aquatic & terrestrial wildlife management and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of farm equipment.
None - See "Preferences"
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to operate Class 8 heavy trucks, heavy construction equipment, farm machinery, power tools, hand tools, and other equipment to complete projects and tasks in adverse conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- CDL - Commercial's Driver's License with valid medical certificate (must obtain within one year after being hired)
- Frequent overnight and week-long travel required.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
- Please submit a cover letter to Miles Anderson, Pinedale/Jackson/Green River Regional Habitat and Access Supervisor (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org), in addition to submitting the state application. The cover letter should include career plans, suitability for the job.
- Uniform, rain gear, and other necessary gear will be provided when in the field.
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- CONTACT: For more information regarding this position contact Miles Anderson, Pinedale/Jackson/Green River Regional Habitat and Access Supervisor, at 307-367-4353
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Service Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #ATAW99
Job # 12201
ATAW99-12201-HABITAT AND ACCESS SPECIALIST-PINEDALE
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.
5400 Bishop Boulevard, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82006, United States
250 - 1,000 employees
Animal & Wildlife
Conserving Wildlife - Serving People
Applications close on February 13th, 2020 at 1:55 am