Be at the center of the 2016 US Presidential election in the State of Ohio!
By every measure, the State of Ohio is THE critical state in the U.S. Presidential elections. Now, you and other students from Europe and Asia have a unique educational opportunity to experience this campaign for yourself and gain political insights that wouldn’t be possible any other way.
The University of Akron’s nationally known Ray C. f Institute of Applied Politics offers a three-month (September through November 2016) hands-on learning experience – the International Campaign Fellows (ICF). This one-of-a-kind program combines a timely “Campaign Battleground” university course with real-world experience gained from working on either the Democratic or Republican presidential campaign in the state that determines the outcome of the Presidential election.
ICF students would participate in grassroots campaigning and campaign events, and learn about campaign communications, digital media, press relations, research, polling and voter targeting. Regular contact between ICF students and the Bliss Institute faculty and staff will add tremendous value to those enrolled in the program.
- Program: The program is designed to expose the learners to the election campaign rigor to suit the needs of students, consultants, candidates, academicians, professionals and political enthusiasts. The course either can be taken as part of an undergraduate, graduate or post graduate degree or as a learning opportunity to advance political career.
- College Credit: All credit-seeking students would be required to take six (6) credit hours, which could be expanded to 12 credit hours for the semester; students also could elect to participate on a non-credit basis. All participants would receive a Certificate in Campaign Politics from The University of Akron’s Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics.
- Class Course: “Campaign Battleground” is a 3-credit course on the presidential campaign taught in real time. This course has been offered successfully for many years.
- Introduction to Campaign Management: The course will have a one week pre-semester class that introduces the learners to Campaign Management basics.
- Campaign placement: Bliss Institute faculty and staff will work with ICF students to place them in the campaign staff of one of the major party presidential candidates (Democrat or Republican).
- Housing: ICF students will be placed in homes of campaign activists in the State of Ohio, a common practice for American student volunteers who come to campaign.
- Cost: Tuition and fees–$6,000 for six credit hours. Students would be responsible for their transportation to and from Ohio, plus their non-housing living expenses. (All amounts in U. S. dollars).
- Eligibility: Open to undergraduate and graduate level students, as well as to those using the non-credit option.
- Visa Requirements: International students will participate in the program on a J-1 visa.
For information about application, enrollment, or other questions, please contact Janet Bolois.