Earn college credit for life experience
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a tool used by The College of Applied Science and Technology to assess learning gained outside a traditional academic environment.
It is the learning and knowledge you gain while living your life . . .
- participating in employer training programs,
- serving in the military,
- studying independently, and
- acquiring technical certificates.
Through the Prior Learning Assessment program, students have the opportunity to document their learning through certification/licensure verification, credit-by-exam, and/or portfolio development.
Interested in learning more? Please contact Kelly Herold for additional information.
- PLA Wokshop, $35
- Portfolio Assessment, $60 per portfolio
- Majoring in a College of Applied Science and Technology associate degree pathway (see list)
- Very strong writing skills
- Valuable work/life experience that can be used to demonstrate proficiency in selected course learning objectives
To review your prior learning credit options and determine eligibility:
- Schedule an appointment.
- Meet with the College of Applied Science and Technology Dean's Office staff for assessment.
- Enroll in the PLA workshop, if required.
- During the workshop, prepare a portfolio for assessment by a faculty member. Your portfolio will demonstrate knowledge acquired through prior work/life experiences.