William McHenry, Ph.D.
- PhD (Management Info. Systems), University of Arizona, June, 1985
- Master’s Degree: MS (Computer Science), University of Virginia, June, 1981
- Bachelors Degree: BSE (with honors), Princeton University, June, 1979
Professional & Academic Experience:
- Assistant Professor, 1985-1991, Georgetown University School of Business
- Associate Professor, 1991-2000, Georgetown University School of Business
- Associate Professor, 2000-present, The University of Akron College of Business Administration, Management Department
Undergraduate courses taught:
- Decision Support with Data Warehousing & Data Mining (U of Akron)
- Decision Support Systems/Expert Systems (U of Akron)
- Management Project (U of Akron)
- Introduction to E-Business (U of Akron)
- Introduction to Information Systems (GU)
- Emerging Issues in Information Management (GU)
- Business Databases (GU)
- Electronic Commerce (GU)
- Social Marketing and the WWW (GU)
Graduate courses taught:
- Knowledge Management (U of Akron, GU)
- Management Information Systems (U of Akron)
- Advanced MIS (U of Akron)
- Information Systems (GU)
- Business Databases (GU)
- Electronic Commerce (GU)
- ProSeminar in Communications, Culture, and Technology (GU)
- Business Ventures in the (former) USSR (GU)
- Advanced Technical Russian (U of Arizona)
- Mitre Corporation, Y2K in Russia, Fall 1998 - Spring 1999.
- SAIC, Various contracts in early 1990s about Soviet and Russian networking, small 1999 contract for Russian Internet work.
- UNISYS Corporation, Briefing on Current Soviet Computing Situation, 1988.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Designed and Implemented Arizona Analyst Information System, University of Arizona, 1982-1984 as part of the, World Computing Data Base Project, Los Alamos National Laboratories, 1982-1987, Technical Oversight of Arizona Analyst Information System Project, 1985-1991.
- Office of Technology Assessment on the role of Western computers in Soviet energy industries, 1980-1981.
- Statistical Analyst, Amoco Oil Company, Chicago, Illinois, Summer, 1977
- E-government, e-payment systems, offshore software industries, global diffusion of the Internet and metrics to measure these. Computers, information systems and electronic commerce and government in the countries of the former USSR. Knowledge management and informational retrieval systems. Other areas of interest include: social impact of computing; data base management systems; group decision support systems; computer technology transfer; organizational issues in the introduction of computing.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- William K. McHenry, “Selecting teams: The potential of “the Grid,” Education and Information Technologies, August 2013, In press.
- McHenry, W., Carmel, E. “Potential Threats of Offshoring Software R&D: An Analysis of U.S.-based Firms That Use ‘Common Criteria’ Certification,” Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 2008, Vol. 5, Issue 1, Pages 1-15.
- McHenry, W., Pryamonosov, D. "Emerging Electronic Procurement in Russia’s Regional Governments,” Journal of Public Procurement, accepted for publication in 2009.
- McHenry, W., Borisov, A. "E-Government and Democracy in Russia," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Volume 17, Article 48 (June, 2006), pp. 1064-1123.
- McHenry, W., Borisov, A., "Measuring E-Government: A Case Study Using Russia," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Volume 17, Article 42 (May, 2006), pp. 905-941.
- McHenry, W., Borisov, A., "E-Government Public-Private Partnerships: The ‘Gorod’ Payments System in Siberia," The Journal of Enterprise Information Management, Vol. 18, No. 5 (2005), pp. 625-640.
- Hawk, Stephen, McHenry, William, "The Maturation of the Russian Offshore Software Industry," Information Technology for Development, Vol. 11, No. 1 (2005), pp. 31-58.
- Press, L., Foster, W., Wolcott, W., McHenry, W., "The Internet in India and China," Information Technologies and International Development, Vol. 1, No. 1 (Fall, 2003), 41-60.
- McHenry, W.K. "Using Knowledge Management to Reform the Russian Criminal Procedural Codex," Decision Support Systems 34 (2002), 339-357.
- Press, L., Foster, W., Wolcott, W., McHenry, W., "The Internet in India and China," First Monday 7/10 (October, 2002). Available at: http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue7_10/press/index.html
- Wolcott, P., Press, L., McHenry, W., Goodman, S., Foster, W., "A Framework for Assessing the Global Diffusion of the Internet," Journal of the Association of Information Systems, Volume 2, Article 6 (November, 2001), pp. 1-51.
- McHenry, W.K., "Y2K International Status and Opportunities," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 42, No. 9 (Sept., 1999), pp. 23 -27.
- McHenry, W.K., Malkov, L., "The Russian Federation's Y2K Policy: Too Little, Too Late?" Communications of the AIS, Vol. 2, Article 10 (August, 1999), pp. 1-40.
Books, Book Chapters, and Supplements:
- McHenry, W.K., "SAGA: The System for Andre’s Great Advantage," in "Systems Development Case Studies", Gordon Hunter, ed., Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill, 1998, pp. 208-226.
Refereed Proceedings Articles:
- Perov, Egor, McHenry, William K., "Measuring the Russian Internet," Proceedings of the First Annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference on June 11-13, 2000, Memphis, Tennessee, edited by Prashant Palvia and En Mao, pp. 192-195.
- McHenry, W.K., "Measuring the Effectiveness of the WWW Search Engines," Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Conference of the International Information Management Association, Toronto, Dec. 10 12, 1997, pp. 64-69.
Non Refereed Proceedings Articles:
- McHenry, W.K. "Enterprise Portals: Linking Strategy with E-Business Technology," in New Models of Business: Managerial Aspects and Enabling Technology, Proceedings of the International Workshop, School of Management, St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 28-29, 2001, Krivulin, N. (ed.), 96-104.
Other Incidental Publications:
- McHenry, W.K. "Prepared Statement Of Dr. William K. McHenry For the Hearing on Y2K Challenges Facing Russia before the U.S Senate Special Committee on the Year 2000 Technology Problem," Hearting: Y2K and Russia: Potential impacts & future consequences. September 28, 1999. http://www.senate.gov/~y2k/hearings/990928/index.htm (current 7/18/00).
- McHenry, W.K., "Russia’s Y2K Problem," The Georgetown Globe, April, 1999, http://www.msb.edu/prog/iglobe/april99/McHenry.htm (current 9/11/1999).
- McHenry, W.K., "Arms are starting to wave: Russia tackles the Y2K bug," Newsletter of the Center for Eurasian, Russian, and East European Studies, Georgetown University, April, 1999, pp. 1,4.
- "Enterprise Portals: Linking Strategy with E-Business Technology," New Models of Business International Workshop, School of Management, St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russia, June 29, 2001.
- "Measuring the Russian Internet," First Annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference on June 11-13, 2000 in Memphis, Tennessee.
- "Russia’s Y2K Preparation Efforts," International Security Aspects of the Year 2000 Problem: Assessing Vulnerabilities, Disruptions and Action Taken, Seoul, Korea, Oct. 17-18, 1999, Sponsored by The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), London and The Center for Global Security Research (CGSR), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- "Measuring the Effectiveness of the WWW Search Engines," Presentation at the Eighth Annual Conference of the International Information Management Association, Toronto, Dec. 10 12, 1997.
- Teaching showcased in panel for the University of Akron’s Institute for Teaching and Learning’s Teaching Excellence Day, Spring, 2004.
- Best paper award, "Measuring the Russian Internet," First Annual Global Information Technology Management (GITM) World Conference on June 11-13, 2000 in Memphis, Tennessee.