Accelerated Master’s of Science in Management-Information Systems: Project Management Focus
Project management has a key role in successful information technology-based initiatives in the global marketplace. Many Information Technology (IT) positions increasingly require some level of project management skills.
This 30-credit Accelerated program is designed for students in undergraduate information systems or related programs who are interested in pursuing graduate work with a project management emphasis. The degree also requires a practicum, in which students complete a Study Abroad program or an internship. The goal of the program is to prepare students for eventual positions in strategic IT leadership.
Students in the MSM Fast track program will complete 30 credits of graduate coursework to fulfill the requirements for the master’s degree. To ensure that there is no duplication from the undergraduate programs, the graduate coursework has been carefully selected to give them marketable skills. The fast track program is comprised of required classes in management, information systems and elective choices. As part of a practicum requirement, students will have to complete a Study Abroad program or an internship. Students who are in the program will be considered for funding opportunities such as graduate assistantships and scholarships.
|Management Core Courses - 9 Credits|
|6500:601||Business Analytics and Information Strategy||3|
|Management of Supply Chain and Operations
Global Supply Chain Management
|Information Systems Core Courses - 12 Credits|
|6500:640||Information Systems and IS Governance||3|
|6500:641||Business Database Systems||3|
|6500:643||Analysis and Design of Business Systems||3|
|Electives - 9 Credits|
|6200:554||Information System Security||3|
|6500:520||Data Networks & Security||3|
|6500:645||Software Development and Quality Assurance||3|
|6500:652||Managing People in Organizations||3|
|6500:663||Advanced Data Analytics Topics||3|
|6500:690||Selected Topics in Management||3|
|6700:695||Internship in Business||1-3|
|Total Credit Hours||30|
Guidelines for receiving credit for the IS Internship:
- Students are required to at least 20 hours of work per week.
- The internship must be approved by the Department Chair.
- Internships will be approved based on the type of business and the scope of the work to be done.
- Interns will complete a report based on MIS faculty specifications.
- The internship should be in an area directly related to any of traditional Information Systems functions related to systems planning, analysis, design, programming, implementation, networking operations and infrastructure, technical documentation, systems installation, maintenance and IT auditing.
- Undergraduate degree in Information Systems from an AACSB accredited institution or related field with a Pre-MBA minor
- Undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 with successful course completion ("B" or better) in programming, database, or networking
- Undergraduate degree must be completed within two years of starting the master's degree program
- Two letters of recommendation from undergraduate program director or faculty
- Statement of purpose
- July 15 for Fall enrollment
- November 15 for Spring enrollment
- April 15 for Summer enrollment
International Student Applications
It is recommended that international students apply one month prior to these dates to allow time for admission and I-20 visa processing. I-20 forms are processed by UA Immigration Services in the International Center, Buchtel Hall. Proof of English Proficiency is required by producing an acceptable TOEFL or IELTS score.
Students currently admitted to this program may have different course requirements than those listed here. Refer to your official Program Checklist and DPR in My Akron for your program requirements.