Our waiver exam system is undergoing changes at this time and will be completed very soon. Please refer back to this page for the new procedure or you may contact Mrs. Sue Tully at (330) 972-8095 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your patience as we work on providing a better system for our students.
Showing Proficiency through Waiver Examinations
Waiver examinations are available to students admitted to the MBA program to allow students to prove proficiency in certain areas. Waiver examinations are offered for all MBA Gateway courses. Some exams are available for foundation courses in the Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Science in Management, and Master of Tax programs.
A score of 70% is required to pass the exam, and students may take a test only once.
The following fact sheets provide information on the MBA and MSM waiver exams (a few courses may also apply to the MSA and MTax programs). Textbooks covering comparable material may be useful.
- 3250:600 Foundations of Economic Analysis
- 6200:601 Financial Accounting
- 6400:602 Managerial Finance
- 6400:655 Government & Business
Waiver exams are offered at various times throughout the year. To take a waiver exam, you must meet certain requirements and follow all waiver exam procedures:
- Only those students admitted to a CBA graduate program can take waiver exams. Students who intend to apply for the program, who are in non-degree programs, or who are only in graduate certificate programs are not eligible.
- Provisionally admitted students may take waiver exams.
- Students on probation may NOT take exams.
Waiver Exam Guidelines
- Students must be in good academic standing to sit for waiver exams.
- Students must report to the testing location at least 20 minutes prior to the scheduled test time.
- Effective July 1, 2015, waiver exams may be not be repeated if a passing grade is not achieved.
Passing a waiver exam in a particular field is deemed to be equivalent to certain courses for prerequisite purposes. For example, if a student needs 6200:601 Financial Accounting as a prerequisite for a subsequent class and has successfully passed the Financial Accounting waiver exam, the student can register for the subsequent class. If the student has not taken 6200:601 or passed the waiver exam, the student will not be permitted to register for the subsequent class. This makes it imperative that students take waiver exams early in their program of study to be able to maintain a full schedule of classes.