Admission to the CBA and the Major
Students who are admitted to The University of Akron and indicate a Business major or Undecided Business concentration on the application will be admitted to the College of Business Administration.
In order to be admitted into the academic major as an incoming student, students must have a 3.0 overall GPA from high school AND an ACT composite score of 21 or higher (1060 SAT equivalency).
For transfer students to be admitted into the academic major, the following must be completed from the prior institution(s):
- 2.5 average cumulative
- English Composition I and II (3300:111 & 3300:112)
- Speech requirement (7600:105 or 7600:106)
- College Algebra (3450:145) or Calculus with Business Applications (3450:210)
- Principles of Microeconomics (3250:200) or Principles of Macroeconomics (3250:201)
- One of the following courses:
- Accounting Principles I (6200:201)
- Spreadsheet Modeling & Decision Analysis (6200:250)
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship (6300:201)
- Legal & Social Environment of Business (6400:220)
- Marketing Principles (6600:205)
Students must be admitted into the academic major in order to graduate, take 400-level Business courses, take 300-level Accountancy courses, be CBA scholarship eligible, and receive academic credit for an internship.
"Pre-Admit" majors (students not admitted into the academic major) in the CBA will be evaluated at the end of each academic semester to be admitted into the academic major. The criteria listed above for transfer students is used to admit students into the College of Business Administration academic major. Students are notified via e-mail when admitted into the academic major.
For students who are in a non-Business major and who would like to declare a business major, please contact your current academic advisor to start the paperwork to be admitted into the CBA (referred to as the Inter College Transfer (ICT) process). Non-business majors are always welcome to schedule an appointment with a CBA academic advisor.