Updated: May 28, 2020
- Academics and online learning
- Student services
- Internships, student teaching, co-ops/field experience
- Events, including Commencement
- Financial matters, fees and reimbursements
- Dates and deadlines
- For international students
- Student accommodations – Office of Accessibility
How to get the most out of online learning.
- Tools, advice and how-to's for online instruction
- If you need assistance with accessing a computer at home, complete the form on the Help-a-Zip page.
- If you need access to the internet many providers have special free or discounted offers available right now.
- Our student services are still available remotely. Please note, all campus buildings are closed unless noted otherwise.
New! Credit/No Credit option
- Updated information about Credit/No Credit options for this semester. Also: How might taking Credit/No Credit affect a student's financial aid?
Lab courses – General lab courses are canceled.
- Students working faculty members on individual research or studio projects should contact the chair/director of the department/school for guidance.
- Students in lab classes or studio courses that require university equipment should contact the respective department chair for guidance.
- Engineering co-ops:
- Spring co-op experiences should continue as usual unless prohibited by your employer.
- We will work with every one to ensure that you receive credit if you are asked to work remotely or your employment is temporarily suspended/quarantined due to the pandemic.
- Please keep us updated on your employment status through the end of the semester.
- We will be emailing all employers to ask that they also keep us informed of any changes of employment status or outcomes.
- Education - student teaching:
- If you have completed 50% of your student teaching hours, this will be sufficient to fulfill eligibility for a teaching license in Ohio and the University's student-teaching requirement.
- If the public schools resume traditional classroom presence, the master teacher will determine if the student teacher is required to resume student teaching duties.
- Nursing: Nursing clinicals are canceled until further notice
Campus buildings are currently closed, and no new events will be scheduled on campus.
- Should not meet or hold events on campus. This includes chapter meetings, alumni events and any gatherings.
- Groups can use the Meet app as part of your UA Gmail account.
- If possible, work remotely. Check with your supervisor.
- Departments are encouraged to provide their student employees with the opportunity to continue to work if doing so is in their interest.
- If during this period of extended break and distance education, the student determines it is not in his or her best interest to work, then we will honor this decision and not penalize the student in the future if returning to the position.
- If you pick up your paycheck on campus, it will be mailed to you instead.
- Commencement ceremonies on May 8-10 and May 17 (Law) have been postponed.
- We will gather as soon as conditions permit to celebrate our seniors. More details will be shared as soon as they are known about a celebration, diploma covers, and honors medallions. Check uakron.edu/graduation for updates
- Degrees will still be conferred on May 9 for graduate and undergraduate students, and May 27 for law students. Digital diplomas will be emailed about a week later, and paper diplomas will be mailed a short time after.
The office is available remotely during normal business hours: M-F from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please email email@example.com with questions about student accounts or billing.
- NEW: Refund/credit information for room, board and select fees.
- If you are on a payment plan: Continue to make payments on schedule, see the installment page for more details or if you have questions.
- Tuition: There will be no refund on tuition because the University will be providing a full semester of instruction and awarding full academic credit to those who satisfactorily fulfill course requirements.
- Room and Board: Reimbursement will be prorated see the full details.
- Study Abroad/University-sponsored travel: Download the Request Reimbursement form.
- This is to be used for program fees that have already been paid, or for individually purchased economy-class tickets for a UA-sponsored study abroad program (if the airline will not offer a refund)
- The form must be turned in by March 31, 2020
- Students enrolled in UA courses that involve international travel will still receive academic credit. Your faculty leaders will provide an alternative for completing your spring course.
- Degrees were conferred on May 9 for graduate and undergraduate students, and May 27 for law students.
- Digital diplomas have been emailed, and paper diplomas will be mailed shortly thereafter.
- We will gather as soon as conditions permit to celebrate our seniors. More details will be shared as soon as they are known about a celebration, diploma covers, and honors medallions.
Students may sign up now for fall classes. See President Gary L. Miller's May 27 message about fall classes.
- Students are able to view their assigned enrollment appointment in My Akron.
- Instructions available online on how to view this information.
- Students should ensure all personal information (email, phone number, mailing address, etc.) is current My Akron for important University communication.
- Questions regarding courses or registration can be email to the Office of the University Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New student orientation
- Orientation sessions scheduled for March will be assigned new dates. Look for an email with details in your University inbox.
- You can reach a member from the NSO team at email@example.com during normal business hours Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
You can view all international students' information here
Please note: Graduate Applicants can temporarily use Duolingo English Test in lieu of in-person TOEFL. See details.
Resources and support services
- Access university updates by calling 330-972-7272
- Our current students newsletter and information
- Campus resources and student services
- Community resources
The office is available remotely during normal business hours: M-F from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Appointments will be conducted via phone or virtually.
- For questions or to schedule virtual appointments email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-972-7928.
- Connect with your assigned Disability Specialist to help navigate your current accommodation plans.
- Log into STARS and check your university email for frequent updates and critical communication related to accommodations and services.
- Spring 2020 accommodation letters were resent March 23.