Dr. Xiong Gong
Department of Polymer Engineering
- Ph.D. Physics (Optics), Nankai University, P. R. China (1997)
- M.Sc. Chemistry (Solid State Chemistry), Lanzhou University, P. R. China (1994)
- B.Sc. Chemistry , Northwest Normal University, P. R. China (1986)
- Manager and Senior Scientist, Cbrite Inc. (2004-2010)
- Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist, UC Santa Barbara (2005-2010)
- Senior Scientist, Cbrite Inc. (2004-2006)
- Post-doc, UC Santa Barbara, with Professor Alan J. Heeger (2001-2003)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (1999-2000)
- Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH (August 2010-present)
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Research Award, University of Akron (2018)
- The World's Most Influential Scientific Minds 2014 (2015)
- Top 1 % Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson Reuters (2016)
- Top 1 % Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson Reuters (2015)
- Top 1 % Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson Reuters (2014)
- NSF CAREER award (2014)
- 3M Non-tenured Faculty Award (2011)
- Overseas Outstanding Chinese Young Scientist Awards, NSFC (2008)
- K. C. Wong Education Foundation Fellow (2009)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (1999)
Organic/polymer and hybrid perovskite electronic and optoelectronic devices (solar cells, photodetectors, white light light-emitting diodes and displays, organic/polymer thin films diodes, thin film transistors, and biosensors), Organic/perovskite thermoelectric materials and devices, Organic supercapacitors/battery, Chemistry and physics of semiconducting organic/polymer materials, hybrid perovskites, and inorganic quantum dots and nanoparticles, Inorganic nanostructured materials and coordination compounds: synthesis, characterization and applications, CW and ultra-fast lasers, spectroscopy.
Current Research Projects
- Solution-Processed Perovskites Hybrid Photovoltaics
- Ultrasensitive Solution-Processed Broadband Photodetectors
- Organic/Perovskite Thermoelectric Materials and Devices
- Novel Polymer/Organic and Perovskite materials
- Inverted Polymer/Organic Solar Cells
- Magnetic Nanoparticles and Magnetic Field on Photovoltaics
- Self-Powered Electronics
Recent Publications (~200 peer-reviewed publications)
- L. Y. Zheng, T. Zhu, W. Z. Xu, L. Liu, J. Zheng, X. Gong,* F. Wudl, Solution-processed broadband polymer photodetectors with spectral response up to 2.5 µm by a low bandgap donor-acceptor conjugated polymer
J. Mater. Chem. C., 2018, 6, 3634-3641.
- W. Z. Xu, L. Y. Zheng, X. T. Zhang, C. Yi, W. P. Hu, X. Gong*, Efficient perovskite solar cells fabricated by Co partially substituted hybrid perovskite, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2018, DOI:10.1002/aenm.201703178.
- W. Z. Xu, Y. K. Guo, X. T. Zhang, L. Y. Zheng, T. Zhu, D. H. Zhao, W. P. Hu, X. Gong*, Room-temperature operated ultrasensitive broadband photodetectors by perovskite incorporated with conjugated polymer and single wall carbon nanotubes, Adv. Func. Mater., 2017, DOI:10.1002/adfm.201705541.
- L. Y. Zheng, S. Mukherjee, K. Wang, M. E Hay, B. W, Boudouris and X. Gong*, Radical polymers as interfacial layers in inverted hybrid perovskite solar cells, J. Mate. Chem. A, 2017, 5, 23831-23839.
- H. Peng, C. D. Wei, K. Wang, T. Y. Meng, G. F. Ma, Z. Q. Lei, X. Gong,* The Ni0.85Se@MoSe2 nanosheet arrays as the electrode for high-performance supercapacitors, ACS Appl. Mater. & Interfac., 2017, 9, 17067-17075.
- W. Z. Xu, H. Peng, T. Zhu, C. Yi, L. Liu, X. Gong*, Solution-processed near-infrared polymer:PbS QDs photodetectors, RSC Advances, 2017, 7, 34633-34637.
- C. Liu, Peng, K. Wang, C. D. Wei, Z. X. Wang, X. Gong*, PbS Quantum Dots-Induced Trap-Assisted Charge Injection in Perovskite Photodetectors, Nano Energy, 2016, 30, 27-35.
- C. Yi, L. Zhang, R. D. Hu, S. C. Chuang, J. Zheng, X. Gong*, Highly electrically conductive polyethylenedioxythiophene thin films for thermoelectric applications, J. Mater. Chem. A., 2016, 4, 12730-12738.
- Kai Wang, Chang Liu, Tianyu Meng, Chao Yi, Xiong Gong*, Inverted Organic Photovoltaic Cells, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2016, 45, 2937-2975.
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Chao Yi, Xiaojun Shi, Adam W. Smith, Xiong Gong* and Alan J. Heeger, Efficient Perovskite Hybrid Photovoltaics via Alcohol-Vapor Annealing Treatment, Adv. Func. Mater., 2016, 26(1), 101-110.
- Xu Huang, Kai Wang, Chao Yi, Tianyu Meng and Xiong Gong*, Efficient Perovskite Hybrid Solar Cells by Highly Electrical Conductive PEDOT:PSS Hole Transport Layer, Adv. Eng. Mater., 2016, DOI:10.1002/aenm.201501773.
- Chao Yi, Xiaowen Hu, Xiong Gong*, Interfacial Engineering for High Performance Organic Photovoltaics, Materials Today, 2016, 19, 169-177.
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Xiong Gong* and Alan J. Heeger, Low Bandgap Polymers for Polymeric Photovoltaics, Chem. Soc. Rev., 2016, 45, 4825-4846.
- Kai Wang, Chang Liu Chao Yi, Long Chen, Jiahua Zhu, Robert Weiss and Xiong Gong*, Efficient Perovskite Hybrid Solar Cells via Ionomer Interfacial Engineering, Adv. Func. Mater., 2015, 25(44), 6875-6884.
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Pengcheng Du, Chao Yi, Tianyu Meng, Xiong Gong*, Efficient Solution-Processed Bulk Heterojunction Perovskite Solar Cells, Adv. Energy Mater. 2015, DOI:10.1002/aenm.201402024.
- Pengcheng Du, Xiaowen Hu, Chao Yi, Huckleberry C. Liu, Peng Liu, Hao-Li Zhang, and Xiong Gong*, Self-powered electronics by integration of flexible solid-state graphene-based, supercapacitors with high performance perovskite solar cells, Advanced Functional Materials, 2015, 25, 2420-2427.
- Kai Wang, Chao Yi, Chang Liu, Chih-Hao Hsu, Steven Chuang, and Xiong Gong*, Effects of Magnetic Nanoparticles and External Magnetostatic Field on the Bulk Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells, Scientific Reports, 2015, 5, 9265.
- Kai Wang, Chang Liu, Pengcheng Du, Jie Zheng and Xiong Gong*, Bulk Heterojuntion Perovskite Hybrid Solar Cells with Large Fill-Factor, Energy & Environ. Sci., 2015, 8(4), 1245-1255.