Dr. Sadhan C. Jana
Benjamin Franklin Goodrich Endowed Professor
Department of Polymer Engineering
Dr. Sritama Kar
Rafael Benavides Gonsalez
Mahel Al Rashed
Sung Jun Kim
Recent Research Group News
- Sepideh Niknezhad and Maher Al Rashed successfully passed Ph.D. Qualifying Exam in January 2012. Congratulations Sepideh and Maher.
- Yannan Duan successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis on February 29, 2012 and joined a fulltime research position at PolyOne Corporation, Avon Lake, Ohio. Congratulations Yannan. Yannan is the 17th Ph.D. graduate from the group.
- Dr. Sritama Kar joined the group as a post-doctoral fellow. Welcome Dr. Kar!
- Dr. Jie Feng, a post-doctoral fellow in the group, joined NETL, a DOE laboratory in Pittsburgh, PA. Congratulations Dr. Feng!
- Sayantan Roy successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis on November 10, 2011. He joined Baker Hughes in Houston, TX as a fulltime employee. Sayantan is the 16th Ph.D. to graduate from the group. Congratulations Sayantan!
- Andrew Shinko received NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) Program Fellowship for his research work on “Shape Memory Polyimide Aerogel Composites for Lightweight Aerospace Applications”. Andrew also successfully defended his Ph.D. research proposal. Congratulations Andrew!
- Angela Beltran Osuna successfully defended her M.S. thesis on November 11, 2011. Congratulations Angela!
- Angela Beltran Osuna won second prize of $1,000 and a new iPad2 for her video, "The True Meaning of Plastics," in the Shaping Your World Student Video Contest in November 2011. Sponsored by SPI: The Plastics Industry Trade Association and The Future of Plastics Foundation, the contest called for student produced videos honoring plastics innovation. Her submission was awarded based on its creativity, execution, and use of original animation. Her video is posted on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFcZ4GklhOA.
- Professor Jana received The William C. Zekan Memorial Service Award from the The Society of Plastics Engineers, Akron Section.
- Professor Jana assumed the roles of chair of the following society awards committees – Society of Plastics Engineers Education Award Committee and American Chemical Society Co-operative Research Award Committee. In addition, he is elected chair of the New Technology Committee of Society of Plastics Engineers.
- Our research group welcomes the following Ph.D. and M.S. students to the group: Sepideh Niknezhad (Ph.D.), Monoj Ghosh (Ph.D.), Stuti Rajgarhia (Ph.D.), Senlong Gu (M.S.), Jihui Shang (M.S.), Sujing Zhao (M.S.).
- Yannan Duan received Kelley Fellowship
- Kushal Bahl received admission into Ph.D. program
- Xiao Wang received Ticona Award as one of two best students of her class.
- Professor Jana to receive 2010 SPE Education Award from Society of Plastics Engineers at its award banquet on Sunday, May 18, 2010 in Orlando.
- Dr. Byoung J. Lee joined Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. Congratulations BJ!
- Dr. Sedat Gunes joined 3M. Congratulations Sedat!
- Professor Jana gave an invited talk at Royal Golden Jubilee (RGJ) Ph.D. Congress held in Pattaya, Thailand during April 1-3, 2010.
- Professor Jana delivered seminar lectures at Chulalongkorn University, Thailand on March 31 and April 5, 2010.
- Andrew Shimko passed Ph.D. qualifying exam. Congratulations Andrew.
- Professor Jana joined the editorial board of Journal of Plastic Film & Sheeting
Past Group News
- Professor Jana joined Polymer Engineering and Science as an associate editor.
- Byoung J. Lee successfully defended Ph.D. thesis. He is now “Dr. Lee”. Congratulations BJ!
- Sedat Gunes successfully defended Ph.D. thesis. He is now “Dr. Gunes”. Congratulations Sedat!
- Andrew Shimko joined the group as a Ph.D. student.
- Angela Beltran joined the group as a Ph.D. student.
- Numan Erden successfully defended his M.S. thesis. Congratulations Numan!
- Professor Jana began his second term as Department Chair on November 1, 2008.
- Sedat Gunes presented a seminar on Shape Memory Polyurethane Nanocomposites in the weekly seminar series in Department of Polymer Engineering on Friday, September 5, 2008
- Byoung J. Lee started his industrial internship at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, OH on September 1, 2008.
- Professor Jana joined the editorial board of International Journal of Polymer Science. He is also the chair-elect of Board of Directors of Engineering Properties and Structure Division of Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE).
- Professor Jana delivered an invited lecture on shape memory polymer nanocomposites at UKC2008, US-Korea Conference on Science, Technology, and Entrepreneurship, San Diego, August 14-17, 2008.
- Professor Jana also delivered a lecture on Rheology As A Tool For Elucidation Of Properties Of Polymer Nanocomposites at RheoProcessing 2008, US-Portugal Conference on Rheology in Polymer Processing, Guimaraes, Portugal, June 12-14, 2008.
- Jason Randall won 3rd prize in poster competition at the 25th Anniversary celebration of the Department of Polymer Engineering, held on August 6-8, 2008.
- Sedat Gunes won the 2008 Bausch & Lomb (B&L) Student Innovation Award. Sedat attended the award ceremony at B&L Headquarter in Rochester, NY and presented a talk on his research work.
- Congratulations to Ayca Ertekin and Robert Opalko for receiving respectively Ph.D. and M.S. degree.
- Sedat Gunes wins the 2008 Frank Kelley Fellowship Award. This Fellowship was instituted in the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering in the name of first Dean of the College, Dr. Frank N. Kelley. Sedat is seen receiving the award from Dr. Kelley.
- Professor Jana elected as Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers. He will be recognized at the awards banquet of the Society of Plastics Engineers Annual Technical Conference being held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin during May 4-7, 2008.
- Congratulations to Ling Du for successfully defending Ph.D. thesis on January 22, 2008. We all are very proud of you Ling. Congratulations!
We also wish you good luck with your industrial career at Goodyear.
- Congratulations to Feina Cao for successfully defending Ph.D. thesis on January 23, 2008. We all are very proud of you Feina. Congratulations!
We wish you good luck with your industrial career at Lubrizol.
- Ling Du received Best Graduate Paper Award and a scholarship of $1500 from Rubber Division of the American Chemical Society at the 4th Annual Student Colloquium, 172nd Technical Meeting of the ACS Rubber Division, Cleveland, OH during October 16-18, 2007.
- Welcome to two new members of the Group, Yannan Duan and Rafael Esteban Benavides. Yannan comes from University of Science and Technology, China and Rafael comes from National Colombia University, Colombia.
- Congratulations to Michael J. Gintert for successfully defending Ph.D. thesis on July 6, 2007. We all are very proud of you Michael. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Prof. Jairo E. Perilla for promotion to Associate Professorship at National University of Colombia, Bogota. Prof. Perilla graduated from the Group in 2004 with a Ph.D. in Polymer Engineering.
- Congratulations to Dr. Chang Do Jung for promotion at Samsung.
- Congratulations to Sedat Gunes for winning 2nd prize in poster presentation at SPE TOPCON Polymer Nanocomposite Conference at Lehigh University (March 2007).
- Congratulations to Sedat Gunes, B.J. Lee, and Michael Gintert for winning best paper awards at the recently concluded Graduate Researchers’ Conference at the University of Akron.
- Congratulations to Feina Cao and B.J. Lee for winning best paper awards at graduate researchers’ conference arranged by Case Western Reserve University.
- Prof. Jana traveled to Brazil to deliver a keynote address “Studies on the mechanisms of nanoparticle-induced morphology development in immiscible polymer systems” at PPS-23, Salvador, Brazil during May 28-31, 2007 and to Colombo, Sri Lanka to deliver a plenary talk “Shape memory thermoplastic elastomers and their nanocomposites” at Chemtech 2007 arranged by the Institute of Chemistry Ceylon, Sri Lanka during June 20-24, 2007.
- Welcome to newest member of the Group, Sayantan Roy. Sayantan joined the Group in Spring 2007 after finishing MS at University of New Hampshire.
- Our Group made five (5) presentations at SPE ANTEC 2007 and three (3) presentations at PPS-23.
- Prof. Jana delivered an invited keynote address on Polymer nanocomposites for shape-memory applications at 171st ACS Rubber Division Technical Meeting, Akron, Ohio, April 30-May 2, 2007.
- Congratulations to Sedat Gunes for winning 2006 – 2007 Perkin Elmer Scholarship Award from SPE Composites Division (May 2006)
- Our Group made seven (7) presentations at SPE ANTEC 2006
- Prof. Jana delivered the following invited lectures:
(a) Polymer nanocomposites by filler-polymer reactions, 50th Anniversary Symposium of University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI), Dayton, OH, September 13-14, 2006.
(b) Polymer nanocomposites design by clay-polymer tethering and novel blending. Presented at Gordon Research Conference on Composites (Chair: Prof. Alan Lesser), Ventura, CA, January 15-20, 2006.
- Congratulations to Dhawal P. Dharaiya who is now Dr. Dhawal P. Dharaiya, for successfully defending his Ph.D. thesis in November 2005.
- Prof. S.C. Jana delivered Chemcon Distinguished Speaker Award Lecture at 58 th Annual Congress of Indian Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON 2005 to be held at Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi during December 14-17, 2005.
- Welcome to the newest member of Research Group, Jason Randall.
- Group made 15 research presentations in 2005 combined at ANTEC 2005 in Boston, PPS-21 in Leipzig, Germany, and PPS Regional Meeting in Quebec, Canada.
- Congratulations to Michael Gintert for winning the Best Paper Award from Composites Division of Society of Plastics Engineers at ANTEC 2005. Michael won the award for his work on polyimide-clay nanocomposites being carried out at NASA Glenn in collaboration with Sandi Miller.
- Congratulations to Chang Do Jung, who is now Dr. Chang Do Jung, for successfully defending his Ph.D. thesis in April 2005. Dr. Jung is currently a post-doctoral fellow at University of Akron.
- Congratulations to Asim Pattanayak, who is now Dr. Asim Pattanayak, for successfully defending his Ph.D. thesis in December 2004. Dr. Pattanayak is now employed at GE Global Research Center in Bangalore, India.
- Congratulations to Chang Min Hong who is now Dr. Chang Min Hong, for successfully defending his Ph.D. thesis in November 2004. Dr. Hong is now employed at Cheil Industries Inc., Korea.
- Congratulations to Jairo Ernesto Perilla, who is now Dr. Jairo E. Perilla for successfully completing his Ph.D. thesis work in the group in less than 4 years. Dr. Perilla is now an assistant professor of chemical engineering at National University of Colombia, Bogota.
- The Group presented 8 papers at SPE ANTEC 2004 in Chicago and 7 papers at PPS-20 in Akron.
- Congratulations to Chang Min Hong for winning the Best Student Paper Award at ANTEC 2003 given by SPE-KASEG. He will be given the award at annual dinner gathering of SPE-KASEG during ANTEC 2004 in Chicago. (April 2004).
- Congratulations to Jong Hyun Park, who is now Dr. Jong Hyun Park for successfully completing his Ph.D. thesis work in the group in a little over 3.5 years. Dr. Park is now working as Principal Research Scientist of Polyolefins Research and Development, LG Chemicals in South Korea. (March 2004).
- Dhawal Dharaiya won Omnova Signature Award in 2003 for his outstanding track record as a graduate student of Polymer Engineering. (March 2003).
- Michael Gintert won NASA GSRP Fellowship in 2004 to conduct research on high temperature polyimide composites at NASA Glenn Research Center. (April 2003).
- Asim Pattanayak won Best Student Paper Award at MACRO 2002, Annual General Meeting of the Society For Polymer Science, India held at Kharagpur in December 2002. (March 2003).
- Dr. Madhusudan Sau finished his Ph.D. work in the group in a little more than 3.5 years and has returned to his job with Indian Oil Corporation as Deputy Manager of Research. Dr. Sau also won Omnova Signature Award in 2001 as outstanding graduate student of Department of Polymer Engineering. (April 2003).
Alumni of the Research Group
Sachin Jain (M.S. 2000)
Thesis title: Nanocomposites of high performance thermoplastic polymers using epoxy as processing aid.
Nisha Patel (M.S. 2000)
Thesis title: Reactive compatibilization of PBT-PPO blends using low molecular weight epoxies.
Shashishekhar Doni (M.S. 2000)
Thesis title: Shear-induced migration of particles in filled polymers: Effects on conductivity and mechanical properties.
Alberto Prieto (M.S. 2001)
Thesis title: Wood flour composites of high temperature polymers by reaction-induced phase separation.
Dhawal Dharaiya (M.S. 2001)
Thesis title: Thermoplastic polyhydroxyethers for compatibilization of blends containing polyesters and polyamides.
Employer: Hendrickson Trailer Suspensions
Robert Opalko (M.S. 2008)
Thesis title: Evaluation of the effects of NanofilR nanoclays in the blending of polypropylene and polystyrene.
Employer: BioPlastics Co.
Numan Erden (M.S. 2009)
Thesis title: Polyurethane/polybenzoxazine-based shape memory polymers.
Angela Beltran Osuna (M.S. 2011)
Madhusudan Sau (Ph.D. 2003)
Thesis title: Morphology development in chaotic mixing of polymers.
Employer: Indian Oil Corporation
Jong Hyun Park (Ph.D. 2004)
Thesis title: A study on nanocomposites of epoxy-clay and epoxy-clay-thermoplastic polymer systems.
Employer: Samsung Total Chemical Company
Jairo Perilla (Ph.D. 2004)
Thesis title: A study on relationship between morphology and rheology of immiscible polymer blends with temporal changes in the interfacial area.
Employer: National University of Colombia
Chang Min Hong (Ph.D. 2004)
Thesis title: A study on shear-induced migration of conductive and non-conductive filler particles.
Employer: Cheil Industries, Samsung
Asim Pattanayak (Ph.D. 2004)
Thesis title: A study on clay-tethered thermoplastic polyurethane nanocomposites.
Employer: GE GRC
Chang Do Jung (Ph.D. 2005)
Thesis title: Synthesis of thermoplastic polyurethanes and polyurethane nanocomposites under chaotic mixing conditions.
Dhawal Dharaiya (Ph.D. 2005)
Thesis title: Effects of nanoclay and carbon black on morphology development in mixing of immiscible polymers by chaotic mixing.
Employer: Hendrickson Trailer Suspensions
Guillermo Jimenez (Ph.D. 2006)
Thesis title: Characterization of PMMA and TPU carbon nanofiber composites produced by chaotic mixing.
Employer: National University of Costa Rica
Michael J. Gintert (Ph.D. 2007)
Thesis title: A novel approach to obtain high performance layered silicate thermoset polyamide matrix nanocomposites
Employer: Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
Ayca Ertekin (Ph.D. 2008)
Thesis title: Analysis of wetting, flow, and end-use properties of resin transfer molded nanoreinforced epoxy-glass fiber hybrid composites. (Jointly with Dr. Lloyd Goettler).
Employer: Tyco Electronics
Ling Du (Ph.D. 2008)
Thesis title: Highly conductive epoxy/graphite polymer composite bipolar plates in proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells.
Employer: Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
Feina Cao (Ph.D. 2008)
Thesis title: Shape memory polyurethane nanocomposites.
Byoung J. Lee (Ph.D. 2009)
Thesis title: Nucleating agent-assisted preparation of polypropylene/polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) nanocomposites and their characterization.
Employer: Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
I. Sedat Gunes (Ph.D. 2009)
Thesis title: Analysis of shape memory properties of polyurethane nanocomposites.
Jason Randall (Ph.D. 2010)
Thesis title: Reinforcement of silica aerogels.
Sayantan Roy (Ph.D. 2011)
Thesis title: Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-sorbitol non-covalent interactions: Effects on the reinforcement of isotactic polypropylene spun fibers.
Yannan Duan (Ph.D. 2011)
Thesis title: Fundamental studies on polymer and organic-inorganic hybrid nanoparticles reinforced silica aerogels.