Newkome, Dr. George R. and Dr. Mary Jane Saunders Endowed Scholarship
The Dr. George R. Newkome and Dr. Mary Jane Saunders Endowed Scholarship was established in 2004 by George R. Newkome and Mary Jane Saunders. These two individuals are celebrating a lifelong commitment to the field of education and the students' lives they helped change over the past 40 years.
Dr. George R. Newkome is an educational entrepreneur, willing to take a chance on the potential of people. He graduated from St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio. Following high school, Dr. Newkome went on to pursue a very ambitious career in higher education, including degrees and appointments at the following institutions:
- B.S. 1961, Ph.D. 1966 - Kent State University
- Postdoctoral fellow 1966-68 - Princeton University,
- Assistant professor of chemistry 1968-72, associate professor of chemistry 1972-78, professor of chemistry 1978-86 - Louisiana State University
- Professor of chemistry 1986-2001, distinguished research professor 1992-2001 - University of South Florida.
Currently, Dr. Newkome contributes his excellence and education to The University of Akron as interim dean, College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering, and vice president for research & dean of the Graduate School. He is also a professor of chemistry and polymer science, an Intellectual Property Center Fellow. and is the James and Vanita Oelschlager Professor of Science and Technology.
Dr. Mary Jane Saunders is making a difference at Cleveland State University as provost. She also has a long and distinguished career in education, including degrees and appointments at:
- B.A. 1972 - Boston University
- M.S. 1980, Ph.D. 1982 - University of Massachusetts
- Postdoctoral fellow 1982-83 - University of Georgia
- Assistant professor 1983-86 - Louisiana State University
- Assistant, associate professor 1986-2003 - University of South Florida
As interim dean and director of the Biomedical and Health Institute, Dr. Saunders enhanced and integrated the areas of biomedical and health sciences at Cleveland State University, with the aims of promoting research and education, addressing critical biomedical and health issues, and fostering regional economic development.
The purpose of the scholarship is to make an award to a deserving student. First preference will be given to a graduate from St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio. The award will be based on merit and financial need.
Both Dr. Newkome and Dr. Saunders have strong convictions to the field of education. For such devotion, The University of Akron is grateful and proud they have established this scholarship.