The Department of Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron offers both master’s and doctorate degrees in polymer engineering. Typical undergraduate degrees of our graduate students include chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, polymer science, mechanical engineering, chemistry, and physics. Successful students have a strong interest in polymeric materials and mathematics background at least to differential equations.
Please note that ALL application materials, forms, reference letters, and scores must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions rather than to the Department of Polymer Engineering. The deadline for priority consideration of fully completed application files is December 1st each year. The deadline for regular admission consideration is January 15th. The Department of Polymer Engineering admits for Fall semester only. Questions regarding admission or the application process may be directed to Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Mrs. Sarah Thorley in the Department of Polymer Engineering at email@example.com.
Other Useful Graduate Links
Professional Masters Degree
Minor in Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering
International Akron Masters Program
- The International Akron Masters Program with the College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering (CPSPE) at The University of Akron is an accelerated program that allows a student to receive both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in five (5) years. A student will complete his/her first three years of study at their home institution. The fourth year of study will be at The University of Akron (UA), and will count also as the first year of the master’s degree course work. This fourth year of study will include completion of a senior project. Typically the thesis research can be finished by the end of the fifth year to complete the master’s degree. The bachelor’s degree will then be awarded by the student's home undergraduate institution, and the M.S. degree will be awarded by The University of Akron.
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Donghua University
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Fuzhou University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Sichuan University
- Soochow University
- South China University of Technology
- Lanzhou University
- National Central University
- National Taipei University of Technology
- Tunghai University
REU Summer Internship Program
RET Summer Program
"The University of Akron is renowned for its Polymer Program and well-acclaimed research. On reaching out to the then-current students at UA, I realized that the program structure, university environment and the expertise of well-established faculty, would help me in achieving my goal to become a successful Polymer Engineer."
Suresh Narute, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering
"The College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron is one of the most well renowned colleges for pursuing graduate studies in the field of polymers. I wanted to pursue my Ph.D. in this field after my undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering and Akron was the place to be."
Sonal Bhadauriya, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering
"My plan after graduation is to work in industry as a polymer engineer. I especially want to work in a Research and Development department because I want to apply my knowledge and skills learned here at UA to produce really useful products for this world."
Szu-Hao Cho, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering