Students with an undergraduate degree in chemistry, physics, engineering or polymer science and a grade point average of 3.0 or better may apply.
Students holding a degree in biology or natural sciences will be expected to have taken additional courses on the undergraduate level:
- Calculus III and/or Differential Equations
- Organic Chemistry I & II
- Physics I & II
For highly-qualified students lacking no more than 1 of the required courses, a special provisional admission may be given for one semester, followed by a full admission upon a student's successful completion of the undergraduate course.
How to Apply
Please note the following Graduate Application Fees:
- First time Domestic Applicants: $45.00
- First time International Applicants: $70.00
- Reapplication: $45.00
You are strongly encouraged to apply online by clicking HERE
When to Apply
The early consideration application deadline for Fall 2017 is December 15, 2016 for Ph.D. applicants. The final application deadline for both foreign and domestic applicants is February 1st, 2017.
What to Submit
Persons seeking admission into the Ph.D. program in the Department of Polymer Science are required to submit all of the listed materials to the Department for consideration by the admissions committee. Incomplete applications will not be considered under any circumstances.
- Completed online Application for Graduate School
- Application Fee, unless waived by the admissions coordinator
- ALL Official Undergraduate and/or Graduate Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Statement of Purpose/personal statement (required for Ph.D. and M.S. applicants)
- GRE Scores (for all students) [Use Institution Code R1829]
- TOEFL Scores (required for ALL international applicants)
The University of Akron
Polsky Building, Room 469
Akron, Ohio 44325-2101
Financial Aid and the Cost of Study
Stipends and Tuition Scholarships:
The department supports all incoming qualified full-time Ph.D. graduate students. For 2017, the standard stipends for the departmental graduate assistantships and industrial fellowships can be up to $25,000 for 12 months. Students who receive financial aid also are awarded a tuition scholarship for some instructional and general fees.
For current tuition and fees, please check the following website: http://www.uakron.edu/student-accounts/