Michael Nelson, Ph.D.
Fields: Public Sector, Economic Development
- Different Forms of Decentralization and Their Impact on Government Performance: Micro-level Evidence from 113 Countries. Economic Modelling, (forthcoming) [with Rajeev K. Goel, Ummad Mazhar, and Rati Ram.] http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2016.12.010.
- Shining a Light on the Shadows: Identifying Robust Determinants of the Shadow Economy, Economic Modelling, Vol. 58, 2016, pp. 351-364. [with Rajeev. K. Goel]
- "Corruption Across Government Occupations: Cross-National Survey Evidence," Journal of International Development, Vol. 28, 2016, pp. 351-364. [with Rajeev K. Goel and Ummad Mazhar].
- "Whistleblower Laws and Exposed Corruption in the United States," Applied Economics, Vol. 46, Issue 20, pp. 2331-2341. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Corruption and the size of local governments: Are they related?", in S. Lago-Penas and J. Martinez-Vazquez, (eds.), The Challenge of Local Government Size: Theoretical Perspectives, International Experience, and Policy Reform. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, 2013, pp. 87-124.
- "Shadow Economy and International Software Piracy," Applied Financial Economics, Vol.22, Iss. 1, 2012, pp. 1951-1959. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Internet Diffusion and Implications for Taxation: Evidence from U.S. Cigarette Sales," Policy & Internet, Vol. 4, Issue 1, Article 6, 2012. [with Rajeev K. Goel]. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1515/1944-2866.1189/abstract
- “The Internet as an Indicator of Corruption Awareness,” European Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2012, 64-75. [with Rajeev K. Goel and Michael A. Naretta].
- "Cigarette Demand and Effectiveness of U.S. Smoking Control Policies: State-level Evidence for More Than Half a Century," Empirical Economics, published on-line 27 March 2011 http://www.springerlink.com/content/a158718812036641/ . [with R.K. Goel]
- "Government Fragmentation Versus Fiscal Decentralization and Corruption," Public Choice, 2011, 471-90 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- “Measures of Corruption and Determinants of US Corruption,” Economics of Governance, Vol. 12, No. 2, June 2011, pp. 155-176. [with R. K. Goel].
- "Causes of Corruption: History, Geography and Government," Journal of Policy Modeling. Vol. 32, pp. 433-447, July-August 2010. [with R. K. Goel].
- "Assessment of the Undergraduate Economics Major: A National Survey," Journal of Economic Education, 42 (2) 2011, pp. 195-199. [with Steve Myers and Richard Stratton].
- "E-portfolios and Student Research in the Assessment of a Proficiency-based Major" in Designing Effective Assessment: Principles and Profiles of Good Practice, Trudy Banta, Karen Black, and Elizabeth Jones (eds.),San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2009. [with Steven Myers and Richard Stratton].
- "Corruption in MENA Countries: An Empirical Investigation," in Economic Performance in the Middle East and North Africa, Serdar Sayan (ed.), London and New York: Routledge, 2009, pp. 13 - 24. [with R.K. Goel].
- "Determinants of Software Piracy: Economics, Institutions, and Technology," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol. 34, Issue 6, December 2009. pp. 637-58. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Assessing an Economics Program: Hansen Proficiencies, ePortfolio and Undergraduate Research," International Review of Economics Education Vol. 8, No. 1. June 2009. [with Steven Myers and Richard Stratton].
- "Global Efforts to Combat Smoking: An Economic Evaluation of Smoking Control Policies", Hampshire, England: Ashgate, 2008. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Are Corrupt Acts Contagious? Evidence from the United States," Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 29, pp. 839-850, 2007. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "The Master Settlement Agreement and Cigarette Tax Policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 29, Issue 3, pp. 431-438, 2007. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Demand Elasticities for Internet Services," Applied Economics, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 975-980, 2006 [with Rajeev K. Goel, Edward T. Hsieh, and Rati Ram].
- "The Effectiveness of Anti-Smoking Legislation: A Review," Journal of Economic Surveys, Vol.20, No.3, pp.325-355, 2006 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Smoking Prevalence and Anti-Smoking Regulations in Transition Countries," Transition Studies Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp.231-248, 2006 [with Jelena Budak and Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Economic Freedom versus Political Freedom: Cross-Country Influences on Corruption," Australian Economic Papers, Vol.44, pp. 121-133, 2005, [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Tobacco Policy and Tobacco Use: Differences Across Tobacco Types, Gender and Age," Applied Economics,Vol. 10, pp. 765-771, 2005 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "International Patterns of Cigarette Smoking and Global Anti-Smoking Policies, with M. Nelson," Journal of Economics and Finance,Vol. 28, pp. 382-394, 2004 [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Use or Abuse of Highway Tax Revenues? An Economic Analysis of Highway Spending," Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 10, pp. 813-819, 2003. [with R. K. Goel].
- "Using Excise Taxes to Finance State Government: Do Neighboring State Tax Policy and Cross-border Markets Matter?," Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 42, pp. 731-752, 2002.
- "Electoral Cycles and the Politics of State Tax Policy," Public Finance Review, Vol. 28, pp. 540-560, 2000.
- "Corruption and Government Size: A Disaggregated Analysis," Public Choice, Vol. 97, No. 1/2, pp. 107-120, 1998. [with Rajeev K. Goel].
- "Democracy, Political Freedom, Fiscal Policy, and Growth in LDCs: A Fresh Look," Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 677-96, 1998. [with Ram D. Singh].
- "Municipal Government Approaches to Service Delivery," Economic Inquiry, Vol. 35, No.1, pp. 82-96, 1997.
- "An IRS Production Function," National Tax Journal, Vol. XLIX, No. 1, pp. 105-116, 1996. [with William J. Hunter].
- "The Deficit - Growth Connection: Some Recent Evidence from Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 167-191, 1994. [with Ram D. Singh].
- "Municipal Boundary Reform and the Growth of the Public Sector in Sweden," Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 39-53, 1992.
- "Interest Group Demand for Taxation," Public Choice, Vol. 62, pp. 41-61, 1989. [with William J. Hunter].
- "Public Policy, Local Labor Demand, and Migration in Sweden, 1979-84," Journal of Regional Science, 29, pp. 247-264, 1989. [with Michael L. Wyzan]
- "Searching for Leviathan: Comment and Extension," American Economic Review, Vol. 77, pp. 198-204, 1987.
- "An Empirical Analysis of State and Local Tax Structure in the Context of the Leviathan Model of Government," Public Choice, Vol. 49, pp. 283-94, 1986.
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 1980
Areas of Responsibility