Diversity is Inclusiveness
Although diversity connotes difference, diversity is inclusiveness. It embraces but is not limited to race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and expression, socioeconomic status, social class, age, national/geographic origin, language, religious beliefs, exceptionalities, veteran status, and other unique personal characteristics.
By building a College community that values diversity and academic excellence – which we hold as inseparable – we are continually renewed and enriched.
The University of Akron embraces inclusive excellence. Learn more about the comprehensive efforts across campus that support diversity through the Office of Inclusive Excellence.
College of Education Diversity Vision Statement
Diversity, in all its multifaceted forms and expressions, is not an end in itself. Rather, diversity is a means to a greater educational end, founded on the pursuit, creation, and transmission of knowledge to all persons for the long-term betterment of society. Through understanding, incorporating, and embracing diversity, the College community will promote learning, inclusiveness, acceptance, and respect for those with differing characteristics, lifestyles, and histories. The creation of a learning environment that welcomes College-wide diversity is deemed essential for building an exemplary educational institution. Therefore, the College champions diversity as a value to be upheld through incorporating the following activities into its core vision:
- Seeking to attract and retain diverse students, faculty, staff, and administrators
- Initiating and supporting activities that enhance College-wide diversity
- Fostering the attainment of knowledge, skills, and dispositions related to understanding diversity
- Developing a college culture that inspires, liberates, and transforms the perceptions of others regarding the positive nature of diversity
- Forming a College community mosaic that allows persons to retain their individuality while simultaneously contributing to the overall College-wide diversity vision