About Student Teaching
Student Teaching is the Capstone Project that allows you, after successfully completing the semester, to apply for your Teaching License in the State of Ohio. This is typically done in Phase 4 of your program. All coursework from your Program Plan needs to be completed prior to being eligible to Student Teach. (See criteria to be eligible to Student Teach.)
Student Teaching is considered to be the most important and challenging component of your teacher prep program. It is a 16-week “professional internship.” Student Teaching requires a large time commitment from you. You will need to begin to think about how you will manage all your personal responsibilities and commitment during this time. During your professional internship you will be required to report to your assigned school placement Monday through Friday during the required hours your mentor teacher is required to be there. This typically is 8 hours a day. Expect to spend time in the evenings and on the weekends to reflect, plan and prepare for future instruction.
The objective of Student Teaching is to provide experiences where students seeking licensure can effectively demonstrate skills in each of the following areas:
- Planning and Preparation
- The Classroom and School Environment
- Engaging students in meaningful instruction
- Professional Responsibilities
- Professional Dispositions
- Behavior Management
Teacher Candidate Placement Policy
With a move to a Clinical Model and new CAEP Accreditation Standards, all Student Teaching placements are made within a 50-mile radius from the main campus at The University of Akron.
Teacher Candidates will be placed in local school districts with which we have developed partnerships and which meet the criteria for each Teacher Candidate’s licensure area. We also take into consideration where Teacher Candidates have completed their Field work. We work to ensure that each Teacher Candidate receives experience in diverse settings within their College of Education experiences. These partner schools can be public, private or charter schools, as long as they are accredited by the State of Ohio.
The University of Akron will request an appropriate Teacher Candidate placement during the semester prior to Student Teaching. (See criteria to be eligible to student teach.)
A student teacher is not permitted to student teach in the same school district where he/she is employed, where relatives are employed, where their children are attending, or from which he/she has graduated within the last 10 years.
Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from their assigned school placement.
To be eligible to student teach, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be admitted to the College of Education.
- Completion of all program requirements.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of a 2.5 or above.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of a 2.5 or above in your content area(s).
- In your professional education coursework you cannot have a grade below a C. Any Professional educational coursework with a C- or below must be retaken.
- Passing scores on all of your content areas for the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE).
- Passing OAE scores turned in to the Office of Student Teaching by the required deadline.
- Clean FBI and BCI report.
- Submission of completed student teaching application by required deadline.
- Approval from the Student Teaching committee.
Preparing to Student Teach
Information meetings you are encouraged to attend to learn more about student teaching in the Spring, 2019 Semester. You are only to attend one of the presentations.
- May 1, 2018 • 8:30-10:00 am • Zook Hall, Room 113
- May 2, 2018 • 11:00 am-12:30 pm • Zook Hall, Room 101
- May 4, 2018 • 3:00-4:30 pm • Zook Hall, Room 101
The application for student teaching in the Spring 2019 will go live Sept. 3, 2018. Please continue to visit this site for more information regarding the application process.
The application period for student teaching in Fall 2018 has ended.
Please contact Dr. Marty Saternow, Director of Teacher Education, at 330-972-2673 if you believe you are eligible to student teach but missed the application period.
|Date||16-Week Student Teaching Placements|
|Aug. 24, 2018||Pre-Student Teaching meeting|
|Aug. 27, 2018||Semester begins|
|Oct. 19, 2018||Midterm Evaluations Due - All Licensure Areas|
|Nov. 9, 2018 (tentative)||edTPA submissions for ALL subject areas due|
|Nov. 17, 2018||OAE APK submission deadline|
|Dec. 14, 2018||Semester ends - All Final Evaluations due|
|Dec. 21, 2018||Supervisor mileage due|
Current Student Teachers
- Student Teaching Orientation Meeting, Spring 2018
- Interviewing Skills Workshop
- OAE Testing Announcements and Deadlines
|Jan. 11, 2018||Student Teaching Orientation meeting
Zook Hall 108
|Jan. 16, 2018||Placement begins|
|Jan. 24, 2018||ALiCE and Opioid Training, Zook 108|
|Mar. 8, 2018||Midterm Evaluations - All Licensure Areas|
|Mar. 29, 2018||edTPA submissions for ALL subject areas due (Scores sent to students on Apr. 19)|
|May 2, 2018||Applying for Licensure meeting
4:20 - 6:00 pm
Zook Hall 108
|May 6, 2018||OAE APK submission deadline|
|May 11, 2018||Last day of student teaching
Final Evaluation completed