Outside the Classroom for ELI Students
ELI students can join in many cultural, social, educational, and athletic activities for students. These activities give students the chance to practice English, become familiar with the Akron area, learn about American culture, and relax. The International Center frequently highlights events that may be of particular interest to ELI and international students through its e-newsletter.
Use of university facilities
Students at the ELI can use UA facilities and services; please note that some facilities require a fee.
UA University Libraries (no fee)
- The University Libraries offer a comfortable place to study, read, and do research. The audio-visual centers of the libraries provide students with the opportunity to practice their listening skills through computer programs and audio links. ELI students may use all the library materials and services.
Sports Facilities (fee)
- In the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, ELI students can take full advantage of the university gymnasiums and natatorium.
- Facilities include: indoor swimming pools, weight rooms, racquetball courts, locker rooms, and sports equipment. The University also has an outdoor track, tennis courts, and practice fields for soccer, softball, and basketball.
- Please note that there is a student fee to join the recreation center.
Student Union (no fee)
- A large, modern student center provides a central place for social time, food, drink, and recreation.
- In the Student Union, you can find restaurants, cafeterias, a bookstore, a bank, a movie theater, lounge areas, and a game room with bowling, billiards, table tennis, and video games.