Dr. Jae-Won Choi
Dr. Jae-Won Choi is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Akron (UA). Prior to joining UA in 2011, he spent one year for his Post Doctoral research in the W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) in 2007, sponsored by the Overseas Post Doctoral Fellowship from the Korea Research Foundations. After his involvement with the W.M. Keck Center, he was promoted twice first to the rank of Research Specialist in 2008, and then to Research Assistant Professor in 2009. Currently, he is serving as an editorial board member in several journals – Additive Manufacturing; International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing - Green Technology; and Korean Society of Manufacturing Processing Engineers. His research interests include new processes and materials development in additive manufacturing; 3D printed smart structures and bio-structures; and low-cost 3D metal printing. He is a member of ASME, SME, and SPIE.
Currently, he is intensively working on 3D printed tactile sensors for robotics, prosthetics, consumer products, etc. He has secured several research grants for new AM processes/materials development. He established eSens as a startup company for smart insoles, with AM technologies spun off from his lab. He has one registered patent and several patent applications. He has published more than 40 archival journal and conference papers.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=LrOoOUkAAAAJ&hl=en
- Lee, J., Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W., and Lee, I.H., 2017, “A review on 3D printed smart devices for 4D printing,” International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing – Green Technology, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 373-383.
- Emon, M.O.F., Choi, J.W.*, 2017, “Flexible piezoresistive sensors embedded in 3D printed tires,” Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 3, 656 (13 pages) (IF: 2.033).
- Vatani, M., Choi, J.W.*, 2017, “Direct-print photopolymerization for 3D printing,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 23, Issue 2, pp. 337-343.
- Lee, J., Emon, M.O.F., Vatani, M., Choi, J.W.*, 2017, “Effect of degree of crosslinking and polymerization of 3D printable polymer/ionic liquid composites on performance of stretchable piezoresistive sensors,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 26, 035043 (8 pages).
- Govindarajan, S.R., Xu, Y., Swanson, J.P., Jain, T., Lu, Y., Choi, J.W., Joy, A., 2016, “A Solvent and Initiator Free, Low-Modulus, Degradable Polyester Platform with Modular Functionality for Ambient-Temperature 3D Printing,” Macromolecules, Vol. 49, No. 7: pp. 2479 – 2437.
- Vatani, Morteza, Vatani, Mohammad, Choi, J.W.*, 2016, “Multi-layer stretchable pressure sensors using ionic liquids and carbon nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 108, pp. 061908 (5 pages).
- Hasan, M.N., Vatani, M., Chandy, A., Choi, J.W.*, 2016, “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Filament Front Deformation for Direct-Print,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 1, pp. 011003 (12 pages).
- Lu, Y., Yun, H.Y., Vatani, M., Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W.*, 2015, “Direct-Print/Cure as a Molded Interconnect Device (MID) Process for Fabrication of Automobile Cruise Controllers,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 5377-5385.
- Hasan, M.N., Chandy, A., Choi, J.W.*, 2015, “Numerical Analysis of Droplet Impact and Consequent Deformation for Direct-Print,” Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 554-566.
- Lu, Y., Mantha, S.N., Crowder, D.C., Chinchilla, S., Yun, Y.H., Wicker, R.B., Choi, J.W.*, 2015, “Microstereolithography and Characterization of Poly(propylene fumarate)-based Drug-loaded Microneedle Arrays,” Biofabrication, Vol. 7, pp. 045001 (13 pages), (Media released in IOP Publishing).
- Engeberg, E., Dilibal, S., Vatani, M., Choi, J.W., Lavery, J., 2015, “Anthropomorphic Finger Antagonistically Actuated by SMA Plates,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, Vol. 10, pp. 056002 (15 pages).
- Vatani, M., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2015, “Conformal Direct-Print of Piezoresistive Polymer/Nanocomposites for Compliant Multi-layer Tactile Sensors,” Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 7, pp. 73-82.
- Vatani, M., Lu, Y., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2015, “Combined 3D Printing Technologies and Materials for Fabrication of Tactile Sensors,” International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 1375-1383.
- Vatani, M., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2014, “Detection of the Position, Direction, and Speed of Sliding Contact with a Multi-layer Compliant Tactile Sensor Fabricated using Direct-Print Technology,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 23, pp. 0905008 (11pp).
- Lu, Y., Vatani, M., Choi, J.W.*, 2013, “Direct-Write/Cure Conductive Polymer Nanocomposites for 3D Structural Electronics,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 2929-2934.
- Vatani, M., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2013, “Force and Slip Detection with Direct-Write Compliant Tactile Sensors Using Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube/Polymer Composites,” Sensors and Actuators A – Physical, Vol. 195, pp. 90-97 (Featured in the ScienceDirect Top 25 List of Most Downloaded Articled).
PostDoc (2007-2008) from Univ. of Texas at El Paso; Ph.D. (2007), M.S. (2001), and B.S. (1999) from Pusan National University, S. Korea
4600:165 Tools for Mechanical Engineering
4600:484 Mechanical Engineering Laboratory (3D Printing)
4600:486 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (Special Topic)
4900:460 Aerospace Systems Manufacturing
4600:696-809 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (Special Topic)