Dr. Kwek-Tze Tan
Dr. K.T. Tan is currently an assistant professor in Mechanical Engineering at The University of Akron. Prior to this appointment, he was a research scientist at the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering, Singapore in 2013-2014. He received his post-doctoral research training in the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Purdue University in 2011-2013, working with Prof. C.T. Sun in the area of acoustic composite metamaterials.
Dr. Tan’s primary research interests and expertise lie in the field of composite materials and metamaterials, targeting at multi-disciplinary applications in defense, aerospace, energy production and biomedical device development. He has published over 30 research articles in major international conferences and top-tier peer-reviewed journals. He was also the recipient of multiple awards, including the ICA Young Scientist Grant (2013), the Metamaterials Young Researcher Travel Grant Award (2012), Best Poster Prize (6th International Conference on Fracture of Polymers, Composites and Adhesives in Les Diablerets, Switzerland, 2011), A*STAR International Fellowship (2011), Tokyo Metropolitan Government Scholarship (2008), NUS Research Scholarship (2006), etc. Dr. Tan is an active journal reviewer and is presently in the Editorial Board of 2 international journals. He is also a member of The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Society for Composites (ASC) and Acoustical Society of America (ASA).
Peer-Reviewed International Journals
- K.T. Tan, H.H. Huang and C.T. Sun (2014). Blast-Wave Impact Mitigation Using Negative Effective Mass Density Concept of Elastic Metamaterials, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 64: 20-29. [Most Downloaded International Journal of Impact Engineering Articles: 549 views and downloads in 4 months, 716 views and downloads in 6 months]
- K.T. Tan, A. Yoshimura, N. Watanabe, Y. Iwahori and T. Ishikawa (2013). Effect of Stitch Density and Stitch Thread Thickness on Damage Progression and Failure Characteristics of Stitched Composites under Out-Of-Plane Loading, Composites Science and Technology, 74: 194-204.
- K.T. Tan, H.H. Huang and C.T. Sun (2012). Optimizing the Band Gap of Effective Mass Negativity in Acoustic Metamaterials, Applied Physics Letters, 101: 241902.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe, Y. Iwahori and T. Ishikawa (2012). Understanding Effectiveness of Stitching in Suppression of Impact Damage: An Empirical Delamination Reduction Trend for Stitched Composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 43: 823-832.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe, Y. Iwahori and T. Ishikawa (2012). Effect of Stitch Density and Stitch Thread Thickness on Compression After Impact Strength and Response of Stitched Composites, Composites Science and Technology, 72: 587-598.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe and Y. Iwahori (2012). Impact Damage Resistance, Response and Mechanisms of Laminated Composites Reinforced by Through-Thickness Stitching, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 21(1):51-80.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe and Y. Iwahori (2011). X-ray Radiography and micro Computed Tomography Examination of Damage Characteristics in Stitched Composites subjected to Impact Loading, Composites Part B: Engineering, 42: 874-884.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe and Y. Iwahori (2011). Stitch Fibre Comparison for Improvement of Interlaminar Fracture Toughness in Stitched Composites, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 30(2): 99-109.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe, Y. Iwahori, H. Hoshi and M. Sano (2010). Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Vectran-Stitched Composites - Experimental and Computational Analysis, Journal of Composite Materials, 44(26): 3203-3229.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe and Y. Iwahori (2010). Effect of Stitch Density and Stitch Thread Thickness on Low-Velocity Impact Damage of Stitched Composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 41: 1857-1868.
- K.T. Tan, N. Watanabe and Y. Iwahori (2010). Experimental Investigation of Bridging Law for Single Stitch Fibre using Interlaminar Tension Test, Composite Structures, 92: 1399-1409.
Post-Doc Research Training, Purdue University (USA) 2013; Ph.D., Tokyo Metropolitan University (Japan) 2011; M.Eng., National University of Singapore (Singapore) 2006; B.Eng., National University of Singapore (Singapore) 2004
4900:336 Aerospace Structures
4900:450 Aerospace Computations
4600:484 ME Lab
If you are interested in applying for a Ph.D. Research Assistantship or a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow position, please contact Prof. Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org