Engineering Advising Tips

Keep on top of your program

Go to My Akron, Student Center, check for the following:

  • Are your college and major information correct? If not, see your advisor or departmental office. 
  • If you're a Co-op student, confirm that your major description contains the words "co-op." If not, see your advisor or departmental office to change your plan (major) code. 
  • Is your contact information correct (listed at bottom of page)? If not, edit for correction. 
  • If you've applied for graduation, you should see the progress of your application in the To Do box.
  • Remember to check your DPR report -- go to My Akron and you'll see My DPR -- this is where you can follow your progress toward graduation (see which requirements you've fulfilled and which you need to complete).

Course add/drop procedure

  • Log in to My Akron, click on the Resources tab near the bottom of the page and find the appropriate add/drop form under Quick Links. Complete the form by following instructions on page 2. 
  • Note there is a different procedure depending upon whether you are adding or dropping a course. 
  • Note that you must obtain signatures in a specific order:  instructor, advisor, dean. 

Look for scholarships

  • Application forms are posted in December/January on the Scholarships page and are due in March for the upcoming school year. 
  • The majority of College of Engineering scholarships are not renewable. You will need to reapply every year.
  • If selected, you will be sent a letter/email confirming your award and you will be asked to complete an acceptance form and write a letter of thanks to the scholarship donor(s). 

To take classes at another institution

  • Complete the Transient Student Permission Form. 
  • Follow directions on form  -- pay close attention to Step 3 on form. 

If you do not obtain permission prior to taking the course, you may be denied credit for the course.

To transfer out of the College of Engineering

  • Check My Akron to confirm that you are in the College of Engineering (check academic program). 
  • If you are in the College of Engineering and wish to speak with your advisor, schedule an appointment with him/her. 
  • Consult the Undergraduate Bulletin (accessible through My Akron) to determine if you meet the admission requirements for the college to which you wish to transfer. If yes, email Julie Earle at to schedule an appointment. If no, you may choose to either remain in the college until you meet the admission requirements or transfer to the Center for Academic Advising & Student Success. Please note that engineering probation/suspension policy will remain in effect so be sure to maintain your GPA above 2.0. 

Apply for graduation

  • To apply for graduation, go to My Akron, select Student Center, select My Academics, Select Apply for Graduation follow directions. You will receive an email confirming receipt of application. 
  • Remember to visit My Akron often to check the Graduation To Do List (located on right side of screen). 
  • If you apply after the deadline or need to change your plan code (major), you will need to contact Julie Earle in the Dean's Office ( 

Deadlines to apply for graduation are:  (check website for specific dates)

  • Spring Commencement - applications due December 1
  • Summer Commencement - applications due in April 1
  • Fall Commencement - applications due in July 1