History, Mission, and Goals
In 1990, the College of Engineering confirmed our commitment to increasing diversity and inclusive excellence in the field of engineering by forming the Increasing Diversity in Engineering Academics (IDEAs) Program.
The mission of the IDEAs program is to promote the importance of equity, inclusion and excellence in the College of Engineering, create opportunities to challenge ourselves and learn from one another, and implement strategies to increase the number of underrepresented students in the engineering field.
- Support the efforts to recruit underrepresented groups (African American, Hispanic, American Indian) into the college by introducing a welcoming culture
- Support the College’s retention efforts so that undergraduate engineering graduates are fairly represented from underrepresented groups by creating an academic support structure
- Develop and empower highly qualified and professionally responsible engineers from underrepresented groups
- Create a culture that embraces teamwork, creativity and innovation
- Partner with other departments, community members, and industry to promote the importance of inclusivity in engineering