Dr. Ajay Mahajan
Dept/Program: Mechanical Engineering
Office: AERC 211A
The University of Akron, Akron, OH
- Professor (Mechanical Engineering & Biomedical Engineering), Aug 2009 - Present
- Associate Vice President for Innovation, Jan 2014 – Jan 2015
- Special Assistant to the President for Innovation, July 2013 – June 2014
- Associate Dean for Research, College of Engineering, Aug 2009 – June 2015
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- Professor (Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes), Aug 2004 – Aug 2009
- Associate Professor (Tenured), Aug 98 - July 2004
Lake Superior State University, Sault Ste. Marie, MI
- Associate Professor (School of Engineering and Technology), Aug 97 - Aug 98
- Assistant Professor, Aug 94 - May 97
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering, Tulane University, New Orleans, July 1994
- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Tulane University, New Orleans, July 1992
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, University of Roorkee, May 1990
Dr. Mahajan has worked in the area of robotics, intelligent systems, controls, structural health monitoring, biomedical devices and low-cost remote monitoring platforms. In the past he has worked with NASA, US DoD, US Federal Highway, as well as companies such as Timken, Caterpillar and Medtronic. He has also worked with two Formula One teams (Renault F1 and Toyota F1). He has developed many biomedical devices and run numerous cadaver labs for Medtronic while testing their new devices for FDA approval and marketing claims. In NE Ohio, he has been a champion for increasing/improving the technology and innovation ecosystem. He served on President Barak Obama’s Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP2.0) initiative at the White House in 2014-15.
- Oesch, C, Mahajan, A. and Figueroa, F., “Identification of Sudden Transitions in Sensor Data from Rocket Tests using Wavelet Transforms within an Integrated Health Monitoring System" Measurement, Vol 109, pp. 304-315, 2017.
- Najafi, Z., Gautam, P., Schwartz, B, Chandy, A., and Mahajan, A., “Three Dimensional Numerical Simulations of Peristaltic Contractions in Obstructed Ureter Flows,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol 138, Oct 2016.
- Najafi, Z., Tieu, T., Mahajan, A. and Schwartz, B., “Design of a new stone extraction device with force feedback,” International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, Vol 20, No. 2, 2016, pp 166-178.
- Najafi, Z., Tieu, T., Mahajan, A. and Schwartz, B., “Significance of Extraction Forces in Kidney Stone Basketing,” The Journal of Endourology, END-2015-0371-TEC.R1, June 2015.
- Najafi, Z., Tieu, T., Mahajan, A. and Schwartz, B., “A Smart Kidney Stone Basket with Force Feedback,” The Journal of Urology, Vol. 193, No. 4S, pp 889-890, May 2015.
- Mohanty, M., Zhang, B., Wang, H., Mahajan, A., Ramamoorthy, S. and Hirschi, J., “Development and Demonstration of an Automation and Control System for Coal Spirals,” International Journal of Coal Preparation and Utilization, Vol. 34, pp. 157-171, 2014.
- Chitikeshi, S., Patton, D. and Mahajan, A., “Microcontroller-Based Embedded System Integrated into an Ultrasonic Position Estimation System,” International Journal of Modern Engineering, Vol, 14, No.1, pp. 110-118, Fall/winter 2013.
- Siddiqui, N., Don, J., Mondal, K. and Mahajan, A., “Development of Bamboo Derived Sorbents for mercury removal in Gas Phase,” Environmental Technology, Vol. 32 Issue 4, March 2011.
- Nandikolla,V., Mathews, J., Schoen, M., Pharkute, S., Reischl, U. and Mahajan, A., “Adaptive Multi Airbag Shoe Insert For Diabetic Foot Care,” ASME Early Career Technical Journal, Vol 9, pp. 124-129, 2010.
- Regez, B., Sayeh, M., Mahajan, A. and Figueroa, F., “A Novel Fiber Optics Based Method to Measure Very Low Strains in Large Scale Infrastructures,” Measurement, Vol. 42, Issue 2, pp. 183-188, February 2009.
- Gupta, V., Unjawala, H., Mahajan, A. and Mohanty, M., “Particle Swarm Optimization Approach for a Coal Preparation Plant,” Journal of Characterization and Development of Novel Materials, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp. 39-48, 2009.
- Abbassi, M., Oesch, C., Utterbach, L., Chitikeshi, S., and Mahajan, A., “Virtual Intelligent Sensors,” Journal of Information, Intelligence and Knowledge, Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. 67-82, 2009.
- Salimi, N., Mahajan, A., Don, J. and Schwartz, B., “A Novel Stone Retrieval Basket for more Efficient Lithotripsy Procedures,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 33, Issue 2, pp. 142-150, February 2009.