Land Surveying Undergraduate Program Accreditation
The Land Surveying A.A.S. undergraduate program offered by the Department of Civil Engineering at The University of Akron is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe what graduates are expected to attain within a few years after graduation. Program educational objectives are based on the needs of the program’s constituencies. The educational objectives for graduates of the Land Surveying program are to attain:
- The skills and knowledge to successfully manage increased responsibility as a surveying technician.
- Competence in an expanding variety of geospatial data in the field and office.
- An increasingly higher level of interaction within a project team environment.
- The ability to progress towards higher education and professional licensure.
- A broader understanding of professional ethics.
Student outcomes describe what students are expected to know and are able to do by the time of graduation. These relate to the knowledge, skills, and behaviors that students acquire as they progress through the program. The AAS Land Surveying program will demonstrate that graduates have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve broadly defined technical or scientific problems by applying knowledge of mathematics and science and/or technical topics to areas relevant to the discipline
- An ability to conduct experiments or test theories, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to function on teams
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- An ability to pass the National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS) Certified Surveying Technician Level I exam
Enrollment and Graduation Data
Fall 2020 enrollment in the Associate of Applied Science Land Surveying Program is 34 students, 15 of whom are simultaneously enrolled in the Bachelor of Science Surveying and Mapping Program. There were seven graduates of the program for the 2020-2021 academic year, one of whom simultaneously earned the BS in Surveying and Mapping.
More enrollment and graduation data can be found here.