Frequently Asked Questions

Entrance Requirements

What are the entrance requirements for undergraduate admission to the College of Engineering?

The University of Akron has two main admissions designations: Direct Admit and University Admit. Relative to the College of Engineering, "Direct Admit" means you are directly admitted to the College of Engineering. "University Admit" means you meet the standard requirements for University of Akron admission, but not for the specific admission to the College of Engineering. View detailed admissions for the College of Engineering. Direct admit students are advised within the College of Engineering, while University Admit students are advised within the Center for Academic Advising and Student Success.

Academic Advising

How do I know who my advisor is?

Your advisor(s) is listed in the “Advisor” box on the right side of your Student Center in MyAkron. Click “Details” to get contact information for your advisors.

I have multiple advisors listed. Who do I see?

Your faculty advisor should be listed first. If you do not have a faculty advisor listed, contact your department. You can see your faculty advisor at any time. If you are a first-year student, you may see Mrs. Diane Burrowbridge in ASEC 225 as an additional resource. For upperclassmen, if you cannot reach your faculty advisor, please contact the second advisor listed (typically your Department Chair or Associate Department Chair).

Why should I meet with my advisor?

Your advisor, whether faculty or staff, is a great resource to assist with scheduling, discussing career options, planning elective courses, and discussing minors. They are available to help you and can answer your questions or point you to the proper resource on campus.

When should I meet with my advisor?

If you have questions, schedule a meeting with your advisor each semester prior to registering for classes to ensure you are staying on track. You can always schedule an appointment with your advisor if you need to talk – they are there to help you.

Most first-year engineering students will have a mandatory advising meeting prior to registration for the next semester. If you do not complete this requirement, a hold will be placed on your account preventing you from registering for the upcoming semester.

When can I register for classes?

The earliest date and time you can register for classes will be posted in MyAkron in the “Enrollment Dates” box on the right side of your Student Center. Once the enrollment date is posted, click “Details” to find your enrollment time. Plan to register at your scheduled time, if possible. Typically, once registration opens, you have until the end of the first week of the upcoming fall or spring semester to enroll or make changes to your schedule without permission from instructors. For summer sessions, you can enroll or make changes through the first two or three days of the session. For the specific enrollment deadlines of upcoming semesters, check the Registrar's website.

What do I do if I have a hold on my account?

Holds on your account will be listed in the “Holds” box on the top right side of your Student Center in MyAkron. If a hold is listed, click on the “Details” button to view the office that placed the hold, along with their contact information. Contact the office or department listed to learn how to remove the hold. Keep in mind that many holds prevent registration, so they will need to be taken care of prior to registering for classes.

How do I know when my classes are?

You can print your class schedule from your MyAkron account. You have the option to print a list view or a weekly calendar view. The weekly calendar view may not show half-semester courses (typically physical education courses). Also, Akron offers classes at multiple locations (Main campus, Medina, Wayne, some high schools, etc.) Be sure you know where your courses are offered and when they begin and end. Print a copy of your schedule at the beginning of the semester to ensure class locations are accurate.

How do I buy my AP credits?

You must have your AP scores sent to UA to purchase those credits. If you have not yet done so, go to the CollegeBoard website and log into your account to view your scores and send them to UA. You will receive a letter in the mail outlining the process for purchasing your credits when your AP scores are received.

How do I purchase credit for a class I bypassed with a test score (i.e. bypassing English Composition I with your ACT English score)?

You can purchase credit for a bypassed class after you have completed and received a grade for the next course in the series. For example, you can purchase credit for English Composition I once you have completed and received a grade for English Composition II. Complete the “Award of Alternative Credit” form, which you can obtain from your advisor or from your MyAkron account. To access via MyAkron, go to the “Faculty/Staff” tab and look under “Forms for Faculty and Staff” on the right side of the page.

What is DPR?

DPR is the Degree Progress Report and can be accessed in My Akron – click on the gold “My DPR” logo on the left side of the page. This system keeps track of your progress towards your degree, including the classes you have taken, are taking, and still need to take in order to graduate. It includes all degree requirements, such as the minimum GPA required for graduation. You should check your DPR regularly. When viewing DPR, select “Open All Sections” at the top of your audit to ensure you can see all the information you need. If you see any errors or have questions about your DPR audit, please contact your academic advisor.

How do I know if my transfer, duel credit, or post-secondary credits have been applied?

Credits from another institution, whether post-secondary, dual credit, or transfer, will be posted in your DARS audit when your official transcripts are sent to UA from that institution. They will be posted under the section for which they fulfill requirements. For example, a transferred English course would appear under the general education section.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Where do I go for questions about scholarships or financial aid?

For questions about College of Engineering scholarships, or to apply for COE scholarships, see here. For any questions related to University-wide scholarships and/or financial aid, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. You can also find a more extensive list of available scholarships, including STEM scholarships and scholarships for underrepresented students, here.

Curriculum and Coursework

What are my options for general education electives (Social Sciences, Humanities, Oral Communication, English, Physical Education, Area Studies)?

Non-Honors students are required to complete the General Education Program as part of their engineering curriculum. These courses are listed in your engineering curriculum. To view your options for these courses, please see the General Education Program requirements. As an engineering student, you only need one course for at least two credits from the Area Studies group, as opposed to two courses for at least four credits for other majors. Keep in mind, your specific engineering degree program may require specific General Education courses to fulfill some of these requirements. Search for your curriculum guide here to verify these. Also note that, unlike some other majors, the College of Engineering has no foreign language requirement. Please see your academic advisor if you have additional questions.

What are the differences in the curriculum for Honors vs non-Honors students?

The main difference between the Honors and non-Honors requirements is the general education requirements. Instead of the standard General Education Program, Honors students complete the classes they select for their Honors Distribution. These courses can be substituted into your engineering curriculum wherever a General Education course is listed. Honors students are also required to take 6 credits of Honors Colloquia courses and complete an Honors Project in their senior year as a part of their Honors Distribution.

What do I do if I am unsure of my major?

If you are considering a change of major, make an appointment with your advisor. Your advisor will provide additional information on your field of study help you make an informed decision on your future. Prior to meeting with your advisor, take the Focus 2 test, which is available through the UA Career Center website. This test has 5 parts – personality, values, skills, work interests, and leisure interests. Each part will generate a list of majors and careers that correspond to your responses. While the results of this test do not determine your career path, they can help you identify areas that may better fit your personality and interests or confirm your current choice.

What grade do I need to achieve in a math course in order to move on to the next in the sequence?

C- for Calculus I, Calculus II, and Calculus III. Since there are no required courses following Differential Equations, you need a D- in order to receive credit for Differential Equations.

Do I have to attend my Chemistry recitation? What is it for?

Students should consult their Chemistry instructor to verify their recitation attendance policy. This component of the course is intended to give students extra assistance with class content. Students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this resource at any time. It does not matter which recitation section you have enrolled in – you can attend any of the recitations listed in MyAkron, including closed sections, as often as you need to.

Do I have to attend recitations/problem sessions/discussion sections in classes other than Chemistry?

Unless the professor of a course has explicitly stated that attendance is not required, plan to attend all class components. Any recitation, problem session, or discussion section may or may not have mandatory attendance. Always be sure to verify such policies with your course instructor.

How much should I study for my courses?

Typically, students should study at least 2-3 hours outside of class for each credit hour taken. For example, a student with 15 credit hours should be studying a minimum of 30 hours per week. Between credit hours, study time, and work hours, a student should not exceed 60 hours per week. For the example above, the student should work no more than 15 hours per week, if possible.

Where do I go for questions about non-engineering courses (including closed courses, department consent courses, etc.)?

For questions about a course that is not offered through the College of Engineering, such as Physics, Chemistry, or Calculus, contact the department directly. To do so, go to the UA homepage and click the Offices and Departments link on the yellow bar at the top. This will allow you to search through an alphabetized list for the department you are looking for and will include the necessary contact information.

How can I get help with my studies?

In addition to tutoring offered through Bierce Library, the College of Engineering offers tutoring through the Engineering Tutoring Program. Here, students can work with engineering student tutors to obtain free help in math, physics, chemistry and engineering courses. Both walk-in and group sessions are available. Additionally, the College of Engineering has special programs that focus on the unique challenges of underrepresented groups through the IDEAs Program, as well as the Women in Engineering Program.

How do I drop a class?

For fall and spring semesters, students can drop classes within the first 14 calendar days of the semester with no signatures. This drop does not show up on a student’s transcript. From the 15th day to the end of the 7th week, students can withdraw from a class with no signatures. This does, however, show up as a “WD” on the student’s transcript. For additional information, please refer to the Withdrawal Policy. If you are considering withdrawing from a class, please review this policy and consider meeting with your advisor first. Withdrawing from classes can impact pre-requisites for other classes, financial aid, housing, health insurance, and student employment, especially if you drop below 12 credit hours (part-time student).

Can I repeat a class?

Students may repeat any class in which they received a final grade of C- or lower. The new grade, even if lower, replaces the previous grade when calculating the student’s GPA, although all grades for the course will remain on your transcript. Students can repeat the same class no more than two times.

Can I take a class at a different school (i.e. closer to home over the summer)?

Yes, if there is an equivalent course at that school. Select and download the Transient Student Permission Form. Follow the directions on the form—pay close attention to Step 3. Please note that you cannot complete transient work during the last 30 hours of your baccalaureate degree program.

About the College

What undergraduate degrees are offered in the College of Engineering?

Currently, the College of Engineering offers eight undergraduate B.S. degree programs across five departments. View all programs here.

What are Student Design Teams?

Student design teams provide an opportunity for undergraduate students in the College of Engineering to participate in a team activity that challenges them to design, build and compete with their device against other schools in the region, the nation and beyond. There are a wide variety of competitions, including those with concrete canoes, robotics, and steel bridge design, as well as many car-based competitions, including chemically-powered cars, mini-Baja and Formula SAE cars. Students in the College have done extremely well in these competitions across a variety of disciplines, and have been top performers at the national level. Learn more about Learn more about student design teams.

How many students are in the College of Engineering?

As of Fall 2014, the College of Engineering has about 3,500 students, which includes nearly 3,100 undergraduate students and 400 graduate students.

How many freshman students are there in the College of Engineering?

In the Fall of 2013, there were over 750 new freshman students in the College of Engineering, with more than 450 of those students as Direct Admits.

What is the largest and average class size in the College of Engineering?

Starting in Fall 2013, the largest class in the College of Engineering will be a little over a 100 students. On average, the class size in the College of Engineering is 38. The current student:faculty ratio in the College of Engineering is around 30:1.

What is the size of the graduating class from the College of Engineering?

During the 2012-13 academic year, the College of Engineering graduated 282 undergraduate students.

How many students who start in the College of Engineering graduate with a bachelor's degree at the University of Akron?

Of the students who begin as Engineering majors, about half will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in six years or less.

What is the retention rate for engineering students during their first year?

About 80 percent of the Freshman students who start as engineering majors return to the University of Akron for their Sophomore year.

Co-op and Placement Program

What is Cooperative Education?

Cooperative Education is an academic program designed to complement a student's formal education with practical work experience directly related to the student's major. Co-ops alternate semesters of on-campus study with semesters of full-time employment.

Is co-op mandatory?

No, participating in the co-op program is not mandatory, although it is beneficial for the student and the employer. About 86-97% of an engineering class at the University of Akron participates in the co-op program.

How much does the co-op registration fee cost?

The registration fee through ZipLine is $125 for the semester.

Am I still considered a full-time student while on co-op?

Yes, you are considered a full-time student even though the co-op "class" is credit/no credit. If you need a letter for insurance, university housing, or scholarship to show your full-time status, please let us know and we will provide one.

What do I do if I am interested in working for a company that is not in the Engineering Co-op Office's database?


How does the Engineering Co-op Office place students in their co-op jobs?

Once you are signed up in our office, your resume is sent to various companies seeking your engineering discipline. The employers prescreen students and let the Engineering Co-op Office know who they are interested in interviewing. Then, the students are notified about the interview opportunity.

Where do interviews take place?

The first round of interviews for a company usually takes place on campus. For these on-campus interviews, students are to report to the Engineering Co-op Office a few minutes before their scheduled interview time. After the first set of interviews, the employers have the students come to the company for an off-campus interview. Shortly after interviewing, employers extend offers to the students. Some companies may also conduct phone interviews as a prescreen of possible candidates.

Is it possible to go out of state for my co-op?

Yes, you can co-op locally, in Ohio, or even out of the state. We have companies in over twenty states.

How do you assist students in career preparation and finding employment?

The Co-op and Placement office helps students find co-op employment, as well as full-time employment. Every student, if desired, can receive help with resume and portfolio preparation, cover letters and interviewing skills. Two engineering and science career fairs are held each year. Companies interview our students year-round for full-time employment.

How many students who graduate end up getting jobs?

At a minimum, more than 90 percent of students who graduate with a B.S. in an engineering discipline at The University of Akron will be placed in either engineering positions or continue on to graduate school within six months of graduation. The number is likely higher since some students find employment without informating the College of Engineering office.