Summer aid in four steps - Summer 2024 (Trailer)

  1. File your 2023-24 FAFSA
  2. Enroll in summer classes.
    • To be considered for federal student loans, you must be enrolled at least half-time, which is 6 credits for undergraduate students and 5 credits for graduate and law students.
    • See notes below about how enrollment in summer classes may affect eligibility for financial aid in the summer.

  3. Finalize your FAFSA.
    • Check your ToDo list in the Student Center of My Akron. Submit any UA forms or other documents required as soon as possible.

    • Receive summer aid notification by email once our office reviews your enrollment and FAFSA status.
      • Students who are eligible for aid in the summer will receive an email from our office with additional instructions.

    How enrollment and borrowing status affects summer aid


    • Full-time status for summer is at least 12 credits (undergraduate) or 9 credits (graduate/law) or more total enrollment for all summer sessions.
    • Half-time status for summer is at least 6 credits (undergraduate) or 5 credits (graduate/law)

    Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans

    • Summer 2024 is a trailer for Federal Aid and is part of the 2023-2024 aid year. Summer Loans are based on the remaining eligibility left in your annual borrowing limit subtracting out what was borrowed in Fall 2023 and Spring 2024.
    • Annual Federal Stafford Loan Borrowing Limits based Major and/or rank:
      • Graduate (Masters or PHD) Degree - $20,500
      • Law/Professional Degree - $20,500
      • Bachelor Degree (Undergraduate)
        Dependent Independent
        Freshman $5,500.00 $9,500.00
        Sophomore $6,500.00 $10,500.00
        Junior $7,500.00 $12,500.00
        Senior $7,500.00 $12,500.00
      • Associates Degree (Undergraduate)
        Dependent Independent
        Freshman $5,500.00 $9,500.00
        Sophomore $6,500.00 $10,500.00
        Junior $7,500.00 $12,500.00
        Senior $7,500.00 $12,500.00
    • If a student has already borrowed their whole Federal Stafford annual loan limit between fall 2023, and spring 2024, then they would not have any Federal Stafford Loan eligibility for Summer 2024.


    • Grant funds are prorated based on enrollment.
    • If you are not enrolled for a course by the 15th day of summer (June 3, 2024), you will not be eligible to receive grant money for summer.
    • If you used a full semester of Pell Grant in fall 2023 and spring 2024, you will not be entitled to receive Pell in the summer of 2024, unless you are enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits).
    • The state of Ohio will not provide an OCOG eligibility roster until after July first. State aid is based on the 2024-2025 FAFSA. If you received OCOG in 2023-2024 you will receive an estimate for summer. This is only an estimate! If your name does not appear on the 2024-2025 roster, the amount changes, or you are not eligible, the estimate could be removed or changed based on the 2024-2025 OCOG eligibility roster.
    • If you are an undergraduate and summer is your first semester, we recommend you fill out the 2023-2024 FAFSA to determine your summer grant and loan eligibility.
    • If you withdraw from a class before it starts, or receive a failing grade that notes you never attended that class, you may lose all or part of your summer grant aid.
    • If you make changes to your summer schedule before the 15th day of Summer I, the Pell Grant will be reduced unless you enroll in the same number of credit hours.
    • If you are receiving summer grants and you make changes to your summer schedule after the 15th day of Summer I, you can lose eligibility for all or part of your summer grant aid.

    Federal Work Study

    • Federal Work Study requires half-time enrollment.

    Class canceled? Your summer aid eligibility could be affected if the University cancels your class. Contact our office as soon as possible after you've been notified of a cancellation.

    Summer housing

    Need a place to stay this summer? Learn about summer housing availability by contacting UA Residence Life and Housing at 330-972-7800 or

    Was this information helpful?