Verification is the process by which the Office of Student Financial Aid confirms, through documentation, the accuracy of the information provided on your FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education selects which FAFSAs we are required to verify. The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all the financial aid to which they are entitled and prevents ineligible students from receiving aid to which they are not entitled.
If your FAFSA was selected for verification, you will be notified in writing. New undergraduate students will receive a paper letter; continuing students and all graduate and law students will be notified via email sent to their UA email address.
Note: If your FAFSA was selected for verification, you cannot receive a financial aid award letter until all required documents are collected and the process is completed. Or, if your FAFSA was selected for verification after you have already received a financial aid award letter, please know that your financial aid may change as a result of verification. You need to gather and submit all required documentation as quickly as possible. If your financial aid eligibility changes as a result of verification, your financial aid award will be revised and you will be notified via email.
Refer to the letter/email you received to review exactly what documentation is required to complete the verification process or view your "To Do" list when you are in the Student Center of MyAkron.
- Any University of Akron form listed on your letter/email is available here.
- If you are required to submit tax documents, you have several options:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) while logged into your FAFSA to transfer your and/your your parent(s)' tax information (follow these steps to use the DRT);
- Submit a signed copy of the first two pages of the requested tax return (1040/1040A/1040EZ). If a Schedule C/C-EZ was filed with the 1040 form, please submit a copy of it too.
- If you cannot use the IRS DRT and do not have a copy of your original tax return, you can request a copy of the tax return transcript directly from the IRS. Follow these steps.
- Do not submit any documents or forms to our office until you have all of the requirements. Submitting your requirements individually or incompletely will create a delay in processing.
- You can review the required documents in MyAkron > Student Center > To Do list.
- Please review the members of your household if you are required to complete a verification worksheet.
- If you are a dependent student, the parent(s) on your FAFSA is the one who has provided more than 50% of your support over the past year. This may not be the parent who claims you as a dependent on his or her federal income tax return with the IRS. In most cases, this should be the parent with whom you reside. Please contact us if you are unsure about who should be the parent on your FAFSA.
- If you are an independent student, only include people who live in your household, for whom you provide more than 50% of the support. If you happen to pay child support for children that live elsewhere, you should not include those children as members of your household.
When you submit your documents to us, we scan them into our imaging software, then reviewed for completion. We are required to resolve any conflicting information, so if we discover conflicts or any documentation is missing or incomplete, we will notify you via email for a resolution. Be sure to monitor your UA email address.
You can monitor the status of your documents/forms by viewing your To Do list in your Student Center while logged into MyAkron. If we have not received/processed your documents yet, the status will appear as “Initiated.” When we receive your documents, they are scanned. This will update the status to “Received.” If your documents are no longer listed in your To Do list, the verification process has been completed. Please allow up to three business days from the time you submitted your documents to see the status updated to “Received.” There is no need to submit multiple copies of your documents unless you have allowed a sufficient amount of time to pass.
Once all documents/forms have been submitted and the status is updated to “Received” in your To Do list, please allow several weeks for processing (additional time is required between May and August).