Verification is the process by which the Office of Student Financial Aid confirms, through documentation, the accuracy of the information provided on your FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education selects which FAFSAs we are required to verify. The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all the financial aid to which they are entitled and prevents ineligible students from receiving aid to which they are not entitled.
If your FAFSA was selected for verification, you will be notified in writing. New undergraduate students will receive a paper letter; continuing students, as well as new graduate and law students, will be notified via email sent to their UA email address.
Note: If your FAFSA was selected for verification, you cannot receive a financial aid award letter until all required documents are collected and the process is completed. Or, if your FAFSA was selected for verification after you have already received a financial aid award letter, please know that your financial aid may change as a result of verification. You will want to gather and submit all required documentation as quickly as possible to receive a revised financial aid award letter.
Refer to the letter/email you received to review exactly what documentation is required to complete the verification process or view your "To Do" list when you are in the Student Center of MyAkron.
- Any University of Akron form listed on your letter/email is available .
- If you are required to submit a tax return transcript, follow to either request the return transcript directly from the IRS or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). If you are able to use the IRS DRT successfully, you will not need to submit a copy of the tax return transcript.
- Do not submit any documents or forms to our office until you have gathered all of the requirements. You can review the required documents in MyAkron > Student Center > To Do list. Submitting your requirements individually or incompletely will create a delay in processing.
- Do not submit a copy of your tax return (1040, 1040EZ, 1040A) or a tax account transcript. We cannot accept these documents for verification purposes.
- Please review the members of your household if you are required to complete a verification worksheet.
- If you are a dependent student, the parent(s) on your FAFSA is the one who has provided more than 50% of your support over the past year. This may not be the parent who claims you as a dependent on his or her federal income tax return with the IRS. In most cases, this should be the parent with whom you reside. Please contact us if you are unsure about who should be the parent on your FAFSA.
- If you are an independent student, only include people who live in your household, for whom you provide more than 50% of the support. If you happen to pay child support for children that live elsewhere, you should not include those children as members of your household.
- If you/your parents/your spouse have a balance due to the IRS when submitting your tax return for processing, the IRS will not process your return until May. For verification purposes, you will not be able to obtain a copy of your tax return transcript (or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool) until the IRS processes your tax return. This means you cannot obtain the tax return transcript or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool until June at the earliest.
When you submit your documents to us, we scan them into our imaging software, then reviewed for completion. We are required to resolve any conflicting information, so if we discover conflicts or any documentation is missing or incomplete, we will notify you via email for a resolution. Be sure to monitor your UA email address.
You can monitor the status of your documents/forms by viewing your To Do list in your Student Center while logged into MyAkron. If we have not received/processed your documents yet, the status will appear as “Initiated.” When we receive your documents, they are scanned. This will update the status to “Received.” If your documents are no longer listed in your To Do list, the verification process has been completed. Please allow up to three business days from the time you submitted your documents to see the status updated to “Received.” There is no need to submit multiple copies of your documents unless you have allowed a sufficient amount of time to pass.
Once all documents/forms have been submitted and the status is updated to “Received” in your To Do list, please allow several weeks for processing (additional time is required between May and August).
You can download our forms here. Make sure you are using the correct academic year forms. Refer to your email or letter if you are unsure which year's forms you should use. Please only submit the forms that have been requested of you.
Check My Akron. The forms requested will be listed in My Akron as To Do items in your Student Center.
To Do items are not updated as received in My Akron until all documents are received and verified for accuracy. This process can take 2-3 weeks.
After your documents are processed, your My Akron To Do list will be updated. Depending on the time of year, allow up to 10-14 business days for processing.