Private and endowed scholarships for undergraduates
On this page:
Private/endowed scholarships are funded by external donors and awarded to students who meet criteria set by the donors. The criteria may include a demonstrated history of leadership, community service, financial need and/or other personal factors. These scholarships are not automatically renewed. An application is required each year for consideration.
Application deadlines for new freshman:
- Priority deadline for freshman private/endowed scholarship applications is has closed. Students must have high school transcripts submitted to the Office of Admissions by this date AND be admitted to The University of Akron to be considered for an early award.
- Students who submit applications after the priority deadline, but by May 1, may still be considered for scholarships that remain after priority awarding.
Application deadline for continuing students closed May 1.
Our colleges and departments award many scholarships based on your application information. In other words, you are automatically considered. Some scholarships do require a separate application. Follow these links for your college or department to learn more.
Colleges and academic departments with scholarship programs:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program scholarships are offered by the Choose Ohio First program
- Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, which includes education, biology, communication and more. See all majors in this college.
- College of Business
- Mary Schiller Myers School of Art
- College of Engineering and Polymer Science, which includes cybersecurity, networking and computer science.
- College of Health and Human Sciences, which includes nursing, speech-language pathology and audiology, social work and others
- Wayne College Campus
Scholarships for special groups
An application may be required for the following scholarships. Each scholarship process is different. Follow the links below for detailed information and instructions.
Tuition assistance programs offered outside of The University of Akron may include:
Outside scholarships for undergraduates
There are a number of free and recommended websites that students can use to search for scholarship opportunities outside of The University of Akron. Outside scholarships received should be reported to the Office of Student Accounts.
TIP: Look for scholarship opportunities close to home — through your community, your church, nearby foundations, places of employment and special interests aligned with your intended major.