Guidelines for General Education Course Proposals
To be successful, the proposed course must:
- Fulfill the required learning outcomes, as outlined in the templates below
- Include an assessment assignment that requires students to demonstrate competency in key learning outcomes, critical thinking and disciplinary writing
Courses in Tier I (Academic Foundations) and Tier II (Disciplinary Areas) must be at least three credit hours and eligible for inclusion in the Ohio Transfer Module. Tier III courses (Tags) may also fulfill major or disciplinary area requirements.
Please consider reaching out to Katie Cerrone, Coordinator of General Education, prior to submitting your proposal if you have any questions or would like guidance on what information and material should be included.
Curriculum Proposal System Process for New Courses/Course Changes
- Go to the CPS: http://www.uakron.edu/curriculum-proposal
- Create a new proposal for your course
- Fill out the form
- Select "yes" when asked: Does this course fulfill a general education requirement?
- Select the area of general education and enter the relevant information. (See the templates below if you would like to know what questions will be asked for each area.)
- Attach an assessment assignment that requires students to demonstrate competency in key learning outcomes, critical thinking and disciplinary writing.
- Attach a syllabus for the course
Academic Foundations Courses
Disciplinary Area Courses
- Natural Sciences Non-Lab Template
- Natural Sciences w/Lab Template
- Social Sciences Template
- Humanities Template
- Arts Template
- U.S. Diversity Template
- Global Diversity Template
- Complex Systems Affecting Individuals in Society Template
- Critical Thinking Template
- Katie Cerrone, Coordinator of General Education, firstname.lastname@example.org