Graduate Student Government
Representative body of graduate students at the University of Akron — Principled leadership for graduate student success.
Graduate Student Government (GSG) supports over 4,000 graduate students, and is open to all registered graduate students at The University of Akron.
The purpose of GSG is to govern the affairs of graduate students in a manner specified by its constitution and bylaws; to determine the sentiment of all levels of graduate students and the representation of sentiment at all levels of the University administration; to encourage social contacts between graduate students of all disciplines.
The Graduate Student Government of The University of Akron will hereby set forth to structure an effective representative graduate student government in the interests of all substantive matters pertaining to the general welfare of The University of Akron graduate students, with the intention of providing advocacy in the formulation and application of University and community policies and with the ambition of enhancing the quality of life for all graduate students.
During the 2020-2021 academic year, GSG accomplished the following:
- Surveyed 300+ graduate students to evaluate the effect of COVID-19, university personnel changes, and workload changes on graduate student mental health and well-being.
- Based on the survey results, four workshops were organized in March 2021 to discuss the stress, anxiety, and depression of graduate life, as well as what university resources are available to graduate students.
- Contributed ideas to different on-campus COVID-19 planning committees to improve the safety and mental health of graduate students.
- Spoke up against racial injustice and expressed solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Communicated with the AAUP and the administration to ensure graduate students received accurate information pertaining to the faculty negotiations.
- Assisted the Graduate School in organizing the very first Career Fair designed specifically for graduate students
- Launched an Instagram and Twitter account in addition to updating our Facebook page.
- Organized information on tuition fees at 11 public universities in Ohio and found that UA's fees are 9.5% higher for Ohio residents in comparison.
- Updated the qualifications for the Professional Enrichment Grant (PEG) to include registration fees for virtual conferences to accommodate pandemic-related changes.
Our goals for this academic year includes the following:
- Work with the administration towards an affordable and accessible university-sponsored healthcare solution for those in need.
- Ensure that graduate students who are also employees of the university are fairly compensated, are aware of what constitutes paid labor and of departmental variability in budgets, and are able to access financial assistance through the university.
- Work with various departments to revamp and advertise services and events to be more graduate student-friendly in order to foster a greater connection to the Zips community.
- Host a campus-wide “Graduate Student Appreciation Week” featuring fun events and workshops designed to invest in the professional and academic development of our graduate student population.
- Improve the transparency and communication between graduate students, faculty, and administrators by regularly seeking feedback from and sharing information with the graduate student body.
Have a question, comment, or concern for GSG?
We want to hear from you! Please fill out our feedback form, either anonymously or with your contact information included if you would like for us to get back to you directly.Feedback form
This registered student organization shall not discriminate on basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, physical or mental ability, size, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, parental status, or genetic information in the selection of its members or in its programs.