Master of Arts in History
Graduate students in history at The University of Akron work individually with faculty who are active researchers as well as accomplished teachers. This personal approach gives students valuable opportunities to learn both by watching and by doing, and to work in a wide range of historical subjects and research methods. The atmosphere is collegial and professional, with department seminars providing a forum for lively and constructive debate.
- GRE (General Aptitude Test)
- Three letters of recommendation (preferably from faculty who know the applicant well)
- Letter of intent stating reasons for wishing to pursue graduate work and the fields of history applicant intends to study
- Writing sample (preferably a research paper from a history class)
- February 1 for Fall enrollment if applicant wishes to be considered for a graduate assistantship
- June 1 for Fall enrollment if applicant is not seeking a graduate assistantship
All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.
Financial Aid Information
Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.
Tuition and Fees
Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.