Out-of-State Applicants to the Honors College
Honors applications are welcomed from outstanding students who live outside the state of Ohio. Many current students in the Honors College come from states other than Ohio.
With the beautiful new Honors Complex residence and academic wing, along with UA's other "Landscape for Learning" improvements, Akron has a lot to offer students!
Akron Advantage Gold Award
The Akron Advantage Gold Award provides a full reduction of the non-resident tuition surcharge (per academic year) so as to provide in-state tuition costs. To receive this reduction, students from one of the 49 states outside of Ohio and all U.S. territories must meet two of the following eligibility criteria:
- High school GPA of at least a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale (based on 6th semester transcript)
- Top 10% of their high school class
- ACT composite test score of at least a 27 or SAT combined test score of at least 1200 (critical reading and math scores)
Note that these are also criteria to apply for admission to the Honors College, so that successful Honors applicants would normally qualify for the Gold Award. This program is for first-time freshman at The University of Akron. Further details about the award.
If you have questions, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 800-655-4884 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a campus visit
We suggest a campus visit! There are several special campus "visitation days" throughout the year, organized by the Admissions office. The Honors College will be represented at these events, and we'll give a special presentation in the new Honors Complex on most of those days. If you're coming to campus on a different day, just call ahead (330- 972-7966) and arrange to visit Honors as well!
Applying to the Honors College is easy.
- Apply online. Applications are easy to do on the web: See our admissions page to fill out an Honors application, and submit it online.
- Submit a recommendation: Have a teacher/administrator fill out the form for a recommendation and mail it directly to the Honors office (zip code: 44325-1803).
- Set up an interview. Our application process includes a personal interview, and that can be done on campus (especially at one of our Scholarship Day events) or by telephone. We've interviewed applicants from as far away as the United Arab Emirates!